Blown upper radiator hose

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swampbandit

Reaction score
This morning I was driving to work and right when I got to work there was steam galore pooring out from under the hood, I opened the hood and the radiator hose had about a 5” split in it. I have no idea how old the hose is, the kj is a 2002 4x4 with 168k miles, I have had no signs of high temp or anything. Is this probably just the hose failing due to age, clogged radiator, head gasket (oil is not milky and as far as I can tell there is no bubbling in the reservoir), bad thermostat? I also just replaced the water pump about 4 months ago.

TIA

I'm hoping on my lunch break I can change the hose and add fluid and make it home

Last edited:

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it split due to age is plan on replacing the lower hose asap also.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like it may be just an old hose that blew.
Highly recommend using Mopar Hoses, EPDM quality, they last a very long time and a perfect fit.
You must be registered for see images attach

The Mopar lower rad hose is also perfect and has an interior spring, to prevent collapse in bend.
Mopar thermostat has the brass air bleed hole, & black ring is the gasket.
You must be registered for see images attach

HOAT or Zerex G05 coolant only to be used in our KJ's !!
Considering the cost of new Hoat coolant, I would do it all at once if possible. Good Luck!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
This morning I was driving to work and right when I got to work there was steam galore pooring out from under the hood, I opened the hood and the radiator hose had about a 5” split in it. I have no idea how old the hose is, the kj is a 2002 4x4 with 168k miles, I have had no signs of high temp or anything. Is this probably just the hose failing due to age, clogged radiator, head gasket (oil is not milky and as far as I can tell there is no bubbling in the reservoir), bad thermostat? I also just replaced the water pump about 4 months ago.

TIA

I'm hoping on my lunch break I can change the hose and add fluid and make it home

ANYTIME, you are doing WP etc , change all hoses and thermostat, they all work in conjunction, one fails, always causes others to follow especially that old

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Do the radiator too if it's older or not Mopar. When mine had 108k miles, the water pump went so I replaced that then a week later the new WP blew the radiator.

Latest posts

Members online