Block heater working overtime...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
-30F tonight, -33F tomorrow night....good thing I have a block heater :gr_grin:

Anyone else got their KJ plugged in tonight?
It's not in the garage, the XJ and LR3 are in there...XJ since it's a lil bit of leaker, LR3 because it honestly likely wouldn't start in that cold. KL and KJ are outside.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to install the block heater I've had sitting on the shelf for about 2 years now, but I keep forgetting to do it in the summer.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I plugged in mine last night on the timer for 4 hours, before I had to head out...
It was definitely below freezin..
You must be registered for see images attach

J33Pfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
-30F tonight, -33F tomorrow night....good thing I have a block heater :gr_grin:

Anyone else got their KJ plugged in tonight?
It's not in the garage, the XJ and LR3 are in there...XJ since it's a lil bit of leaker, LR3 because it honestly likely wouldn't start in that cold. KL and KJ are outside.

What about a battery heater? Do you guys have one or see a need for one? Last year my battery froze and I had to jump start it.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
It is never a good idea to jump start a frozen battery. Run jeep every day for 20+ minutes before bed to keep it charged.
AGM -sealed absorb glass mat batteries are way better in the winter, lead acid can freeze.
At -20 or greater is where an electric battery warmer is helpful for sure.
I have gorilla taped a thermostatically controlled electric pipe heater wrapped around the battery here at -30c before !
Link: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Frost-King-9-ft-Automatic-Electric-Heat-Cable-Kit-HC9A/205933690?MERCH=REC-_-PIPHorizontal2_rr-_-202262328-_-205933690-_-N
What you also can do to prevent a frozen battery: Trickle charge it at vehicle overnight.
A thicker towel around battery for insulation can help overnight too.

J33Pfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is never a good idea to jump start a frozen battery. Run jeep every day for 20+ minutes before bed to keep it charged.
AGM -sealed absorb glass mat batteries are way better in the winter, lead acid can freeze.
At -20 or greater is where an electric battery warmer is helpful for sure.
I have gorilla taped a thermostatically controlled electric pipe heater wrapped around the battery here at -30c before !
Link: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Frost-King-9-ft-Automatic-Electric-Heat-Cable-Kit-HC9A/205933690?MERCH=REC-_-PIPHorizontal2_rr-_-202262328-_-205933690-_-N
What you also can do to prevent a frozen battery: Trickle charge it at vehicle overnight.
A thicker towel around battery for insulation can help overnight too.

Thanks good info. I guess I can also keep it warm with 60w work light nearby (but not touching anything)

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
What about a battery heater? Do you guys have one or see a need for one? Last year my battery froze and I had to jump start it.

There's the need.

I have a block heater, pan heater, and battery heater. I don't plug it in all night; just for a few hours before I go. All to give it a good chance and not need to wrench in the cold. If it doesn't want to start I swap in one of my old batteries I keep charged in my shop.

My newest battery is 5 years old so I'll probably put a new one in my jeep when it gets back on the road.

Last edited:

Jeremy-WI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It really doesn't get that cold here to buy those things. My 96 Chevy K1500 had a heater in the one frost plug and I never plugged it in, the only times it failed to start was because of an old battery or frozen fuel lines. The odd thing was, was that my 91 toyota truck started right up when the chevy had frozen fuel lines

Latest posts

Members online