blew a valve cover gasket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

new jeep owner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
luckily I was only ten feet from my driveway.
I suddenly got a very strong smell of oil burning. I opened the hood and had a look, there was oil dripping on the exhaust and all over the side of the engine bay. it's the only place I can see that it would be leaking from judging by the mess it made.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This can't be
The 3.7 never leaks

Good news is that the valve cover gasket is easy to change
however there should be almost no pressure under there
are you sure it is not a head gasket?

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check the cover itself too. I had mine replaced at 3000 miles cause it was cracked. :freak3: Don't ask, cause I don't know. It was when I bought it.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
NJO please follow up on what is required. pics appreciated as well. THX.

new jeep owner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This can't be
The 3.7 never leaks

Good news is that the valve cover gasket is easy to change
however there should be almost no pressure under there
are you sure it is not a head gasket?

I hope it's not a head gasket,do I ever hope it's not... I should know for sure friday afternoon. I get done back shift that morning so I'll get a couple hours sleep then have a look.

It was very cold out -19 C about 3 f . I'm wondering if maybe the crankcase vent froze up?

Last edited:

tibby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The same thing happened to me last week! Replace the PCV valve first, check the tubing that runs to the back of the engine from the air filter. The PCV (located on the oil filler neck on the 05) on mine froze up along with the tubes and blew oil all over the passenger side engine and all over the bottom. Replaced the PCV valve ($6.00) and all is fine...hopefully this helps with you...

new jeep owner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The same thing happened to me last week! Replace the PCV valve first, check the tubing that runs to the back of the engine from the air filter. The PCV (located on the oil filler neck on the 05) on mine froze up along with the tubes and blew oil all over the passenger side engine and all over the bottom. Replaced the PCV valve ($6.00) and all is fine...hopefully this helps with you...

did you have to replace the gaskets?
I got the PCV from my local JEEP dealer $12.00 and new gaskets $45.00 per side .rubber not cork.
mine did the same thing blew oil all over the passenger side of the engine and the engine bay.

tibby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't need to replace any gaskets. A week later and no leaks. Thats not to say the gaskets are perfect still...I should replace them soon. Thanks for the gasket how to.