Bleeding my cooling system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eddiekimberly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did a top end rebuild on '02 KJ Sport 3.7 4x4 for blown head gaskets. While trying to bleed my cooling system, I took off the radiator cap, turned on the heater and let it run. Suddenly it spit and sputtered and the coolant level dropped, I filled it back up, replaced the cap and cut it off. Drove it a bit today (yesterday, now) and it run a bit warm, so I figured it didn't bleed out completely. When I got home, I let it cool off and went thru the procedure again. This time, instead of spitting and sputtering, it whimpered a bit and the level dropped about an inch. I filled it up again to the fill mark, replaced the cap and cut it off. An hour later I went and checked it and the reservoir was almost empty, so I topped it back to the mark. Then just a little bit ago, I went out and it was a tiny bit low, so I added a bit more. Is it normal to have that much air bleed out? Am I losing coolant elsewhere? I have seen no external leaks. The oil looks fine. It is steaming but thats from the cold weather. It doesn't have a sweet smell to it that i can tell, tho sometimes my sense of smell isn't all it could be. It, also, doesn't miss, which is a sign of a blown head gasket (tho I literally just replaced it 4 days ago). Is it bleeding out still or am I just being overly optimistic?

Last edited:

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did a top end rebuild on '02 KJ Sport 3.7 4x4 for blown head gaskets. While trying to bleed my cooling system, I took off the radiator cap, turned on the heater and let it run. Suddenly it spit and sputtered and the coolant level dropped, I filled it back up, replaced the cap and cut it off. Drove it a bit today (yesterday, now) and it run a bit warm, so I figured it didn't bleed out completely. When I got home, I let it cool off and went thru the procedure again. This time, instead of spitting and sputtering, it whimpered a bit and the level dropped about an inch. I filled it up again to the fill mark, replaced the cap and cut it off. An hour later I went and checked it and the reservoir was almost empty, so I topped it back to the mark. Then just a little bit ago, I went out and it was a tiny bit low, so I added a bit more. Is it normal to have that much air bleed out? Am I losing coolant elsewhere? I have seen no external leaks. The oil looks fine. It is steaming but thats from the cold weather. It doesn't have a sweet smell to it that i can tell, tho sometimes my sense of smell isn't all it could be. It, also, doesn't miss, which is a sign of a blown head gasket (tho I literally just replaced it 4 days ago). Is it bleeding out still or am I just being overly optimistic?

Turning on the heater makes no difference...there are no water valves controlling water flow through the heater core.

I presume you used the Orange colored HOAT anti-freeze?

I have a CRD and have not had to do this air-bleeding excercise but I believe that it does take a while to get all the air pockets out.

eddiekimberly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Turning on the heater makes no difference...there are no water valves controlling water flow through the heater core.

I presume you used the Orange colored HOAT anti-freeze?

I have a CRD and have not had to do this air-bleeding excercise but I believe that it does take a while to get all the air pockets out.

I used Zerex G-05. I will just keep checking it daily till I am sure it's all out. The wife drives it sometimes and I instructed her to check it before leaving on the days she drives it to work till I tell her she can quit.

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could pressure test the cooling system to see if you have any leaks internal or external. You can loan a pressure tester at a lot of auto parts for free.

eddiekimberly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pressure tested and have a leak that is doing from the bellhousing, and by dripping, I mean pouring. Just did the to end rebuild so the gaskets should be good. Borrowing the tester overnight so I can pressurize it and try to see where it's coming from. Start looking at the heater hoses and work my way down. Wish me luck.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pressure tested and have a leak that is doing from the bellhousing, and by dripping, I mean pouring. Just did the to end rebuild so the gaskets should be good. Borrowing the tester overnight so I can pressurize it and try to see where it's coming from. Start looking at the heater hoses and work my way down. Wish me luck.

Could be one of the freeze plugs - there is one plug on each side of the engine in the bellhousing and above the level of the crankshaft. There are also freeze plugs below the exhaust manifolds.

Hopefully it's something relatively easy to repair.

Bob

eddiekimberly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Appears to be coming from INSIDE the bellhousing, so guess I am looking at freeze plugs. Lucky me. Get it in the shop tomorrow.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I have have no idea. Here's a bump so someone who does might notice and give you a good answer. :)

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How big a pain in the buttocks is the ****** to pull to get to them? ](*,)

It's easier than the engine, I promise you :waytogo:

Cherrie swapped trannies on her KJ and didn't have a lift or any of that. Once you get the ****** out of the way you can get to the freeze plugs.

Bob

EDIT: I am such a stooge. I meant "Leann" not Cherrie. My apologies, Leeann :(

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pulling the ****** isn't at all difficult, even without a garage or lift.

eddiekimberly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well lets try this. I see the leak coming from the inside of the bellhousing but I also noticed what is in the photo. Did I just build up some water inside the muffler while the head gasket was blown? Good God I hope so. I am about ready to actually drive the thing.

Attachments

• IMG_20131213_164041.jpg
    IMG_20131213_164041.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 19

eddiekimberly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like normal condensation

The pic shows a tiny hole rusted in the muffler that is dripping water. Didn't get the puddle in the pic but its decent size, maybe 3-4 inches diameter. Now I know there is an old mechanics joke about checking the alternator fluid, but I know the muffler doesn't have fluid, unlike the alternator. :signs8:

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pic shows a tiny hole rusted in the muffler that is dripping water. Didn't get the puddle in the pic but its decent size, maybe 3-4 inches diameter. Now I know there is an old mechanics joke about checking the alternator fluid, but I know the muffler doesn't have fluid, unlike the alternator. :signs8:

Its a drain hole in the factory muffler for exhaust condensation.