Binding in 4HI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jcpryce

Reaction score
With the last snow fall we had here i noticed a bit of binding when we would put it into 4hi. I had a feeling it would be the CV joints and I just didn't feel like doing it. So this past week I took it to Eastgate Chrysler Jeep just up the road and droped it off. I get a call later saying that it was the rear upper control arm. The bolt had broken off inside the diff and the bouncing around wore out the control arm. That's not what I expected to hear. And of course the parts were on back order. They did get me a Toyota Corolla for a rental, it was that or a PT Cruiser.
I told them since the warranty was about out to check over the rest and fix whatever they could get approved without me having to pay for it. Which ended up only being a T-case rear output seal.
Overall cost was $776.41 and the warranty paid for everything except an $83.32 bracket and the labor to replace it. I figure thats not too bad.
My question though, is that really what I felt binding in 4hi? Without any snow and no place close to test it, I'm not sure.

Oh yeah, I have an 04 Sport with a little over 72000 miles on it. Basically stock.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even in snow, more so if its just a light snow, you will get get binding. Its possible that since the control arm was loose when the torque built up then let loose you were feeling/hearing that a-arm banging around.

Its nice that the deal round and replaced that seal. Not sure of to many dealers that would actually look for something to replace under warranty. Given thats a very easy thing to spot, its still nice.