Suspicion- 4hi?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Out running around today, take off from th stop sign on a hill, driverside front peels out a bit. Have had suspicion since I’ve storm a week back. (Is only a short hop back and fourth to work so didn’t notice) Shifts into neutral and 4low no problem. Fairly certain stays in four hi when shifted to 2x.

Not certain where to start. Guessing a shift linkage issue? Perhaps arm slipped on the nut?

Suggestions? I haven’t played with this system yet.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jack up one front wheel and try to turn it by hand. If the front driveshaft spins, it is in 2wd. If it can’t spin because the vehicle is stuck in 4hi, then you have your answer.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
No nut , but what holds the shifting cable to the transfer case has a plastic piece that wears out and breaks
start there
Should of been able to feel it on turns / driving if it is in 4 WD

Duster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah that stupid plastic piece broke on mine. I went to go into 4wd and the lever was just flopping.

I cursed quite a bit about a plastic piece there. Then went to get something better.

It has been a long time, but I think my intention was to use a metal E-clip, so I got several sizes hoping to find the right one and also some push nuts like they use to hold on wagon wheels but all metal.

I tried and tried to get an e-clip on there until I think I lost them all and I believe I happened to have an axle push nut the right size so I used that and it was on in seconds. Best I remember it was hard to get to and I had to try to do what I was doing blind.

That would probably be no dang fun to undo if I ever had to. But I didn't have a lot of choice at the time.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
On the 03 I have part of a bushing from an old 72-73 AMC Hornet, along with some clip from a 73 Ford pickup
( I have labeled ziploc baggies with parts from various cars/trucks/ whatever saved over the last almost 50 years , junk to many, saves me at times LOL )
Parts I have had for a whole bunch of years
Bought the regular bushing 2 years ago and it broke / fell off this past December

Duster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah that is what it needs to be really. One of those metal clip things I can't think of the name of. Flat on one side and like a 45 on the other \| that binds on by spring wedge. Squeeze and it can pull right off

Latest posts

Members online