Big spare wheel & Jerri Can on stock trunk ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pivert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I changes wheel to use a larger size: 245/75R16

And I would like to add 1 or 2 gasoline jerry can on each side of the spare wheel.

Do you think the trunk and its stock fixings will support the weight of the new wheel and cans?

Thank you for your help.

Last edited:

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,

And I would like to add 1 or 2 gasoline jerry can on each side of the spare wheel.

Do you think the trunk and its stock fixings will support the weight of the new wheel and cans?

Thank you for your help.

Your problem will be the hinge.

At one point for 2 8 hour trips, I had 3 bikes on a spare tire bike rack on the trunk. The trunk was DEFINITELY not sitting right while the bikes were on the rack. I used straps to the roof to support the trunk and make sure the bikes did not bounce and apply torque to the trunk via the spare carrier.

That being said, your weight will be distributed in a better way that won't apply much downward torque to your swing gate. You might not have a problem...but typically you should avoid it. The manual states that weight of spare tire and accessories on your carrier should not exceed 50lbs.

Good luck!

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed just with my 245/75-16 on a steel wheel the door creaks and moans a lot now while I'm driving around. The door operates fine when stopped but going over bumps and whatnot it makes a lot more noise than it used to.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello,

Thank you for your help.

Only way to do that would be with an aftermarket bumper that would carry the spare and the jerry cans
Like mentioned its designed for about 50 lbs, thats your spare tire and wheel right there. Adding 2 jerry cans would add over 62 lbs of weight ( total spare and jerry cans over 112 lbs. )
So just the spare alone maxes out the amount to be carried , adding those cans would have all kinds of negative effects on the rear gate .

pivert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK thank you.

But is it possible to strengthen the trunk close system ?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Nothing you can do unless you want to remanufacture the whole rear gate, then strengthen where the hinges attach to the body, then....well you know, mod one thing which affects another which in turn changes something else

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only way to do that would be with an aftermarket bumper that would carry the spare and the jerry cans.
Is there such an animal? It was my understanding that any aftermarket KJ bumpers were no longer being manufactured. I think you made one at one time, but no longer do, correct?

Fifty pounds isn't a lot of weight - prob'ly real close to what a stock wheel & tire setup weighs. Any aftermarket wheel and larger tire popular with the lifted KJ crowd would probably be heavier than 50#. I remember vividly how it felt dropping the spare tire on my ring finger and crushing it against the spare tire carrier. I coulda swore the spare weighed a thousand pounds.
You must be registered for see images

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Is there such an animal? It was my understanding that any aftermarket KJ bumpers were no longer being manufactured. I think you made one at one time, but no longer do, correct?

Fifty pounds isn't a lot of weight - prob'ly real close to what a stock wheel & tire setup weighs. Any aftermarket wheel and larger tire popular with the lifted KJ crowd would probably be heavier than 50#. I remember vividly how it felt dropping the spare tire on my ring finger and crushing it against the spare tire carrier. I coulda swore the spare weighed a thousand pounds.
You must be registered for see images

Not sure if there is or not ( any aftermarket rear bumpers now for sale)
I'm sitting down with someone in the next two weeks to go over some plans. Last two I have tried with the bending, cutting etc for mine were not even close to the level of quality I want to sell. BUT I think this guy is the right one and can produce a good , well built bumper.

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever weighed their spare tire/wheel? I'd be interested in knowing how much. I don't have a scale - or the desire to repeat my finger-smashing experience. ;)

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever weighed their spare tire/wheel? I'd be interested in knowing how much. I don't have a scale - or the desire to repeat my finger-smashing experience. ;)

I need to re-torque my wheels soon. If I think of it I'll take a scale out to the parking lot and find out. What the heck, the neighbors already think I'm crazy... :Insane:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Stock wheel and tire are about 45 lbs
a 245-75-16 Goodyear Wrangler MT/ R Kevlar is 50 lbs by itself
245-75-16 General Grabber is 46 lbs
those are just the tire by themselves
16X7 soft 8 wheel is somewhere about 27-28 lbs if I remember right
( have to check in a bit here for sure )

Last edited:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I need to re-torque my wheels soon. If I think of it I'll take a scale out to the parking lot and find out. What the heck, the neighbors already think I'm crazy... :Insane:

Stock wheel and tire are about 45 lbs
a 245-75-16 Goodyear Wrangler MT/ R Kevlar is 50 lbs by itself
245-75-16 General Grabber is 46 lbs
those are just the tire by themselves
16X7 soft 8 wheel is somewhere about 27-28 lbs if I remember right
( have to check in a bit here for sure )

I can't say with absolute certainty but I would ballpark my 265/70 Duratracs on Moab wheels at around 100 pounds.

For sure my surgically-repaired back doesn't appreciate it when I'm picking up the wheel/tire combo :Insane:

Bob

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stock 235/70-16 + factory alloy wheel (no air so adjust accordingly) - 46lbs
duratrac 245/75-16 Load C + 7" wide steel wheel - 69lbs

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I can't say with absolute certainty but I would ballpark my 265/70 Duratracs on Moab wheels at around 100 pounds.

For sure my surgically-repaired back doesn't appreciate it when I'm picking up the wheel/tire combo :Insane:

Bob

Don't think it would be that much Bob, tire would be right at 49-50 lbs, Moabs are really light weight and I think come in at about 25 lbs or maybe even less
so about 75 total. Be Thankful you don't have 8 inch wide Soft 8s and 265-75-16s , now they are heavy. Chris said when he went to Moabs felt like he had an extra 75 horsepower at least

Last edited: