Big 3 upgrade.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kapox

Reaction score
Hello KJers, I'm new here, so, hi to all of you.

I'm wondering if any of you have made the "Big 3 Upgrade" on your KJ. That's the one that you replace your alternator and ground cables, for a better and thicker other cables.

I'm doing some research to do it myself and I have the basics, but It'd be more helpfull if any of you have done it before and can tell me any tip or something I need to keep in mind while I do the upgrade.

Many thanks to who can give me a hand here.

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only reason you would need to do this mod is if you have a huge drain on your battery and electrical system.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
^ Oh that is good to know Cause when I think of "Big 3" and Jeeps it means:
Big Lift- Big Tires & Big Dollars Spent !!" :icon_lol:

MarkJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a boondoggle. I would think the alternator already has a cable that provides for it's rated output. Now grounds I can see, but only in the area of power usage.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Here I was thinking Roosevelt, Churchill and Stalin.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
If you look at the cables around the battery they have a lot of wire running to them and are factory only wiring harness. I wouldn't want to start cutting and changing any of those, see no real need to.
I knew what the big 3 was, just wanting to see why and the reasoning behind it

ktmrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea the cables are not easily replaced by a straight cable. Mine were not in great shape and I looked at replacing them and ended up crimping on new ends.

eradicator006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Usually when doing "the big 3" you don't replace cables; you add on. The grounds are the most important. If you're not upgrading your alternator, replacing the alternator wire isn't going to benefit much if any at all.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
So back to the OP original question/ remark
You can't upgrade the alternator
can't replace cables , yeah so maybe add to them but why?
Not really going to gain anything are you?

ktmrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would like to add a second battery and isolator to run an inverter wo effecting the start battery. But there is just no good place to put it. I have that system on my van that I race out off and its really nice. Even with that system I have no problems with the stock cables.

MarkJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea the cables are not easily replaced by a straight cable. Mine were not in great shape and I looked at replacing them and ended up crimping on new ends.

Rather than replace or add cables I would augment the crimp (I hate crimps) by soldering.

Members online