BFG All Terrain T/A

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FirstJeep

Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm new here as this is only my second post. I recently bought my liberty about 5 months ago and the first thing i noticed was those wussy Goodyear tires that came with it. When i bought the Jeep it had 25,000kms on it and i would say the tires were 70% worn. So I had to start shopping because up here in the great white north we can see some great snow and since I live on a farm i can also see some muddy fields. Anywyas i searched for a few weeks before finally deciding on the BFG's, I chose them because of a few reviews i read on some other 4 wheel drive web sites as well as for the aggressive tread pattern and lastly price. I paid $187cdn / tire and then all of the other stupid little charges, I believe my total bill was $890. The tire shop also filled them with nitrogen, not really too sure what this does for . So far we have put on about 8000kms and I have not found anything about them that i don't like. They are great in the rain and the few muddy trails I went down they seemed to clean out quite well and dug in for the traction I need. The only part that kind of bugs me is how small rocks seem to get stuck in the tread and then fly out on the highway. I'm sure i have caused a few chips to passing cars. I stuck with the stock 225-75-16 size because i didnt want to deal with any rubbing issues, I mean the way I look at it the factory chose this size for a reason right? as well I have been told that a smaller tire cuts through the snow instead of piling it in front of a fat tire.
Anyways I hope this helps some of you out there that may be in the market for new tires to replace old worn out factory rubber.
OlllllllO

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those are good tires. I've run 3 sets of those on 3 different vehicles and they will also wear like iron in addition to the very good all surface traction and are worth the price.

bohica-kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the same problem with the small rocks.
I often go through gravel parking lots and when I get back on to the paved road, my jeep sounds like she's tap dancing....lol
I also feel bad for the cars behind me because they fling out at a variety of speeds....
But, over all, I gota say.... they are the best tires I'v ever owned.

FirstJeep

Reaction score
Update

Good day all,

Just wanted to post a bit of an update for you all. Last week I went down another few trails that were a bit worse than i thought they would be, I went through a few holes that I was a bit nervous about but made it no problem. I know it is also the amazing Jeep 4 wheel drive system but I'm sure these tires helped allot. Stock would of never made it through/ I also was climbing some steep banks of a strem that goes through my yard and they just grabbed the dirt and hay and pulled me over. We also had allot of rain here the past few weeks and I never once lst traction on the highway.
Just wanted to let you all know I still love these tires, and I feel it was a very good investment.
Bye for now.
OlllllllO

FirstJeep

Reaction score
Update

Good day all,

Just wanted to post a bit of an update for you all. Last week I went down another few trails that were a bit worse than i thought they would be, I went through a few holes that I was a bit nervous about but made it no problem. I know it is also the amazing Jeep 4 wheel drive system but I'm sure these tires helped allot. Stock would of never made it through/ I also was climbing some steep banks of a strem that goes through my yard and they just grabbed the dirt and hay and pulled me over. We also had allot of rain here the past few weeks and I never once lst traction on the highway.
Just wanted to let you all know I still love these tires, and I feel it was a very good investment.
Bye for now.
OlllllllO

Grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FirstJeep said:
...... The tire shop also filled them with nitrogen, not really too sure what this does ...........

Anyone know why the nitrogen? Never heard of that before.

Jman

Reaction score
It supposedly does not leak out as much as normal air does so you don't have to pump them up as often. Benefit is your tires are always at the right pressure and you get optimum handling and fuel mileage.

But if you inflate / deflate a lot for off-road it is a waste since you are not likely to pump them back up with nitrogen.

RickM

Reaction score
Grey said:
FirstJeep said:
...... The tire shop also filled them with nitrogen, not really too sure what this does ...........

Anyone know why the nitrogen? Never heard of that before.

Look in the Tire/Wheel forum at the thread dated Oct 22 and titled "No more air in tires".

Costco, and some other tire retailers are switching to filling tires with Nitrogen now, instead of compressed air.

I think the reason for this is that Nitrogen does not expand/contract with heat like air does. Therefore you tires should be inflated to their optimum pressure more often, giving you better fuel economy and tire wear.

Yes, there are pros and cons to the issue. Read the thread. At Costco now, it doesn't cost you anything to get your tires filled with Nitrogen.

FirstJeep

Reaction score
Hello Hello

Well just wanted to update you all on the BFG's snow performance. It is now officially winter in Alberta, we have at least two feet of snow in the yard and the roads have been fun, to say the least.
I can't say enough good about these tires, driving to work in-35 degree weather on highways that have more ice than asphalt showing has been fun. I have yet to get stuck or even close to stuck in the deep" oatmeal" snow in the mall parking lots. Oatmeal snow is what you get after they spread salt and sand on the loose snow and it kind of turns brown and sticky, but is still very loose and had to drive through in a car.
The other day after work my friend was goofing around on a small hill with his grand cherokee, the snow was about 2 1/2 feet deep and he was trying to drive along the fence line, well he only had some brand of snow tire on his cherokee and didnt get too far. I was laughing at him and he told me to go for it and see if i can make it past where he almost got stuck.
Well i got up there and put the throttle down and crawled about another 20 feet past his stopping point, the snow was over the bumper and climbing onto the hood, it iwas kind of loose powder snow. As i backed out of my tracks he said, damn those are some good tires you got on there, I might have to look into gettting some. Yes I told him there were good tires and if he needed a pull to call me.
Then today we had an auntie cousin over and as she left down our lane I thought she was going a little too fast to make the turn, sure enough into the ditch with her Montana. I took the jeep down to try and pull her out, when i got there i could see her back passenger tire was off the ground. I hooked up to her and sitting on some not quite packed snow in 4 low barely pushed the gas and that van popped out of the ditch like nothing.
I know for sure with the stock goodyears i would not of been able to pull her out.
So I still support these tires 100% and recommend them to anyone who is looking for a great all terrain tire.
Bye for now
OlllllllO

FirstJeep

Reaction score
Another Update, BFG All Terrain T/A KO's

Hello all,
the snow is starting to melt and the mud is starting to show. everyday driving down my gravel road to get to the highway is a new adventure. I still have no complaints about these tires. They seem to really grip the mud and if they plug up you give them a little spin and the treads are clean again. i went to my cousins house last night and though i could park on the "dry" mud, well it turned out to not be very dry at all and a goog 8 inches deep. I spun a bit but backed right out of there with a few nice ruts in the way.
I still think these are the best tire i have owned. I have about 15,000kms on them now and there is no sign of wearing at all.
I still support these tires all the way. Let me know if anyone has any questions.
bye for now.
OlllllllO