Better Performance?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MacAndrew93

Reaction score
anyone know some cheap ways to get better performance on a 2007 jeep liberty, 3.7L V6 ?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trade KJ for sports car?

No cheap way but the best way is to regear to lower gears(4.10's is common swap mostly for lifted KJ's) but is far from cheap,expect $1500-$2000 for the regear alone and more if you add lockers and/or LSD's.

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not much you can do, exhaust and maybe some intake modifications, but the gains wont be huge

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4:10's after lifting is the best performance mod but like has already been said, it isn't cheap. It is cheapER if you can get the rear axle and front diff out of a 4 cylinder KJ.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our Liberty's do perform much better in a tail-wind, so you could bolt one of these to the liftgate. :happy175:

You must be registered for see images

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trade KJ for sports car?

No cheap way but the best way is to regear to lower gears(4.10's is common swap mostly for lifted KJ's) but is far from cheap,expect $1500-$2000 for the regear alone and more if you add lockers and/or LSD's.

this is honestly the only "performance mod" with any noticeable gain IMO.

parts alone for a re-gear to 4.10 with Detroit truetracs front and rear and a new intermediate shaft for the front axle as well as a donor front axle ($150 from a junkyard) have totaled just over $2200 so far. I am also replacing the CV axles

If you know how to build a differential and set up pinion depth, backlash, bearing pre-load, etc... you need about $1,100 in specialty tools. or you can have the front axle built at a shop, have the same shop do the work on the rear axle and swap the front axle yourself, (still a pretty involved job).

the 2nd option will cost about 6 or 7 hours of labor at the shop. if you are paying a shop to do every bit of the work, you better have some seriously deep pockets.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
realistically, it is easy to add a muffler, and modify the intake. depending on the year there is a guy on LOST making intake parts. search LTT intake.

you can also add a thrush muffler fairly easily, search for that too...
chips/tuners also depending on year.

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are willing to travel to Texas in February some time, im doing a LOST 4.10 gear install party. Where you bring in your parts, use my shop, and you will build them under my supervision, for no cost for special tools or labor. We did this a few years ago with the local Jeep club and it saved everyone a bunch of cash, and a few guys pitched in extra oil and shop supplies. We will have BBQ and BYOB again, i have three complete diff tool sets we can use. It was a blast and the 4.10 gears is the best mod a KJ can do if they are lifted with oversized tires.

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are willing to travel to Texas in February some time, im doing a LOST 4.10 gear install party. Where you bring in your parts, use my shop, and you will build them under my supervision, for no cost for special tools or labor. We did this a few years ago with the local Jeep club and it saved everyone a bunch of cash, and a few guys pitched in extra oil and shop supplies. We will have BBQ and BYOB again, i have three complete diff tool sets we can use. It was a blast and the 4.10 gears is the best mod a KJ can do if they are lifted with oversized tires.

What a great thing to have! I wish I still lived in my home state so I could have partaken in this.