Best rotors/pads for KJ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I've been searching some threads, and saw a few posts for EBC Greenstuff pads, as well as some suggestions for and against using slotted rotors.

With the prospect of putting bigger tires on my KJ, I was going to upgrade my brakes since they are due to be replaced.

I can get "premium" ceramic pads from Carquest for about $60 (these were made by akebono.) Don't recall what their rotor pricing was, but they don't offer a slotted style anyways.

So I'm just researching and getting some ideas of what to replace with when I do my maintenance.

What have you guys seen work, and what does everyone suggest brand (EBC, Hawk, Raybestos, akebono) and style-wise (ceramic vs semi-metallic, etc.)

Thanks!

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks tjkj

I gotta go with NAPA rotors also but I think I only got there middle of the line pads (which are still very good) I put them on my rear recently and will be getting them for the fronts before winter comes, as soon as my belt and tensioner get done!

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Napa Adaptive One pads with there Premium rotors(or PowerSlot rotors) is about the best I've seen.

Hey, I was looking at these online...do you know who makes NAPA's brake pads? I thought Raybestos did, but I'm not sure. Was just trying to compare these to the Carquest line, because they also have a premium brake pad that is ceramic, and I know Raybestos makes Carquest pads.

Thanks

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
NAPA is always better than Carquest. I put them with Autozone and the rest of the cheap places. I buy all brakes etc from them , have for over 35 plus years and never have a problem. Just buy the best and forget the rest!:party52:

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NAPA is always better than Carquest. I put them with Autozone and the rest of the cheap places. I buy all brakes etc from them , have for over 35 plus years and never have a problem. Just buy the best and forget the rest!:party52:

See, it's interesting you say this, because I used to work for NAPA, and I recently have been buying from Carquest....from what I see, there is almost no difference between the two.

They both use the same national brands to make their in-house brands...their filters are both made by WIX, their oil is bottled by Ashland Oil Co, and it used to be that their brakes were both made by Raybestos...which is what I was trying to confirm. Now, I don't know that all the lines are manufactured by the same national brands, but from what I remember, the majority of them were.

To me, it seems that Carquest carries the same line of parts, for a slightly cheaper price.

So can anyone confirm who actually manufactures NAPA's brake parts?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
See, it's interesting you say this, because I used to work for NAPA, and I recently have been buying from Carquest....from what I see, there is almost no difference between the two.

They both use the same national brands to make their in-house brands...their filters are both made by WIX, their oil is bottled by Ashland Oil Co, and it used to be that their brakes were both made by Raybestos...which is what I was trying to confirm. Now, I don't know that all the lines are manufactured by the same national brands, but from what I remember, the majority of them were.

To me, it seems that Carquest carries the same line of parts, for a slightly cheaper price.

So can anyone confirm who actually manufactures NAPA's brake parts?
Napa's Adaptive One pads are specifically made for Napa only,do not know who actually makes them but Napa is the only place to buy them.

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm beginning to think NAPA has their own manufacturing line for their pads. I saw a consumer reports article about different brands, and they list Raybestos and NAPA as two separate brands.

Looking at the price of NAPA's Hi-Perf rotors, I think I'm gonna stick with Carquest (Raybestos) brand. I can buy a whole set of rotors for the price of one of NAPA's. :icon_eek:

Used them before and never had any problems.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm beginning to think NAPA has their own manufacturing line for their pads. I saw a consumer reports article about different brands, and they list Raybestos and NAPA as two separate brands.

Looking at the price of NAPA's Hi-Perf rotors, I think I'm gonna stick with Carquest (Raybestos) brand. I can buy a whole set of rotors for the price of one of NAPA's. :icon_eek:

Used them before and never had any problems.
You think there premium stuff for a KJ is pricey try there extreme service pads I run from Napa,I'll go through 4 sets of rotors before that pads ever wear down to the squealer tabs.

From working on this junk all day long for 14+ years(professionally) when ever a customer was never satisfied with there brakes we always installed Napa stuff(high ned,and now only Adaptive One stuff) and they are always 100% satisfied after that.

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, the adaptive one pads aren't all that more expensive...it's their rotors that are up there. and since you need those x4, it adds up quick.

napa's standard rotors are $40/$30 for the front/rear. the hi-perf rotors are about $83 each!

carquest's run about $28 each.

i guess for my budget, and since i've never had any problems in the past, i'll just stick to what i know. i hate to spend an extra $100-200 on parts that could possibly provide a minimal gain.

bjs2063

Reaction score
just get the brake parts from the dealer, hopefully they will last as long as the OEM brakes. If they do, it will be cheaper in the long run. I typically get between 60K and 80K miles out of original brakes and 15-20K on aftermarket brakes.

the wifes KJ has 62K miles on it and hopefully will get nearly 10K miles more before the brakes need done.

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just get the brake parts from the dealer, hopefully they will last as long as the OEM brakes. If they do, it will be cheaper in the long run. I typically get between 60K and 80K miles out of original brakes and 15-20K on aftermarket brakes.

the wifes KJ has 62K miles on it and hopefully will get nearly 10K miles more before the brakes need done.

Interesting suggestion...can't say I looked up the dealer for parts yet. I may call them just to see.

But yeah, I'm at ~74K now and am going to do all 4 corners. I think the fronts may have about 1-2mm more than the rear, but since I'm doing it, I'll just do them all. The fronts are the easy part anyways...since on the rears I also need to do new e-brake shoes. Had one fall apart on me and scared the heck out of me...thought for sure something bad was going on at the time, but fortunately not. :)

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, yeah.....no.....dealer wanted $123 for pads, and $158 each rotor, for the front. i stopped him at that point and said no thanks......lol

bjs2063

Reaction score
don't pay that much for the parts, ask for if its their best price, ask for a discount.
or go somewhere else even look online. A quick search online I found the set of front pads for $43.99 and the front rotors for $59.99 each. So about 2x what you would pay for aftermarket parts.

If they last 3x longer, its is well worth it. Nothing worse than paying over $100 for brakes parts, spend the time to replace them, then having the cheap chinese rotors warp and cause vibration within a year.

It is worth it to me to use quality OEM parts, and not have the annoyance and frustration.

just my opinion.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
don't pay that much for the parts, ask for if its their best price, ask for a discount.
or go somewhere else even look online. A quick search online I found the set of front pads for $43.99 and the front rotors for $59.99 each. So about 2x what you would pay for aftermarket parts.

If they last 3x longer, its is well worth it. Nothing worse than paying over $100 for brakes parts, spend the time to replace them, then having the cheap chinese rotors warp and cause vibration within a year.

It is worth it to me to use quality OEM parts, and not have the annoyance and frustration.

just my opinion.
There are 2 types of OEM pads and rotors,the good stuff(which came from the factory) and the value line.The value line is very cheap and last like cheap pads and rotors(not long).The high priced stuff is the good stuff that lasts the 70,000+ miles but at a higher cost.

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score

just my opinion.

The NAPA Ultra Premium rotors are made in China.

Latest posts

Members online