Best High Dollar and Low Dollar Mod You've Done

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm picking up on a pattern here. Consistently, the best high dollar mod people are stating is suspension lifts and upgrades. I think that makes a strong statement.

For me, best low(er) cost mod/work done is maintenance items. Plus, filters, fluids, claybar and detailing the vehicle. Keep it clean inside and out, including inside the engine/trans.

High dollar item, so far I'd say was a new set of All-terrain tires. Changes the look of the Liberty drastically, as well as giving me more sure-footed traction and wet/snow handling.

I'll be lifting the Lib in the next year or so to replace the horribley soft, sagging stock suspension. I have a feeling then that the lift mod will become my best high dollar mod.

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best high dollar mod: See sig for those.
Best low dollar mod: Removing the rust on the lower part of my driver's side door.

Jaxom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm fairly new to gettin' work done on my kj. Least inexpensive was replacing the resistor pack for the ac/heater for $20. The highest I've spent so far was $135 today for a new tire. (Can't afford a full set, so I replaced the one nearly bald and constantly leaking air first!)

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm fairly new to gettin' work done on my kj. Least inexpensive was replacing the resistor pack for the ac/heater for $20. The highest I've spent so far was $135 today for a new tire. (Can't afford a full set, so I replaced the one nearly bald and constantly leaking air first!)

I know some here think anyone should be able to just go buy high grade new tires whenever the need arises. But having sold tires for the past 40 years I've come to realize not every one has the option. Buying one at a time until there are 4 is a very viable way to get to the same goal, just takes a little longer. Just make sure the tire you're getting is gonna be available a couple months down the road so you can complete the set!

Buying used is, in the long run, the most expensive tires you can run.
Bob

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know some here think anyone should be able to just go buy high grade new tires whenever the need arises. But having sold tires for the past 40 years I've come to realize not every one has the option. Buying one at a time until there are 4 is a very viable way to get to the same goal, just takes a little longer. Just make sure the tire you're getting is gonna be available a couple months down the road so you can complete the set!

Bob

Unfortunately most people also don't have much commonsense to plan ahead. When I know its getting to be time for tires, I start putting away money for them. Its something I'm about to do with the wifes car.

Jaxom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually this was planning a head in a way. Unforitunily I was given a curve ball when I was informed at work I wasn't a "full time" employee, but a part-time employee working extra hours. And suddenly went from 45 hours a week down to 28. Or I'd replaced all the tires at once along with the rim I need as well so I could replaced the spare I had stolen off me.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And some need to wear a parachute when they ride their horse.

Bob

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Bob
In 40 years you should have common sense to know that you always replace tires in pairs unless your replacing a bad tire(cut,nail or otherwise) and still within 25% tread depth of the opposing tire.

If you have AWD you must replace all 4 if your past 3/32" tread depth difference.

And anything made past '12 you should replace all 4 at the same time due to ESP and other fancy gizmo's for people that have yet to learn to drive.

And lastly some newer vehicles don't use(as well as older GM's) TPMS sensors but instead use the wheel speed sensors to determine a low tire so you need 4 tires the same overall circumference.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

What my "common sense" knowledge is and what my customers can afford don't usually have much in common. Regardless if it's from poor management, fixed income restrictions, too many offspring/child support, ad infinitum, if they have only the funds one tire till next month that's what I encourage them to get. Except for those who, all too often, I carry for 60-90 days on an unsecured house note. These are people who I'm now beginning to see FOURTH generation customers coming in for goods and services. I've been screwed a few times, probably will again in the future. BUT they're MY people.

YVMV

Bob

EDIT; to have been here over 10 years, with 9,400+ posts, 1,343 "likes" and to only have given TEN(10) "likes" in all that time, seems almost like a God superiority complex going on.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online