Best alternator?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
What's the best alternator to get? Looked around on other forums and it seems rebuilt ones from Napa, Oreillys etc get a bad rap.

RenKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
See if you can find a Renegade alternator if you want a bit of extra amperage at idle, not sure about the remanned brands though sry

BigRich201

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Computer controls output so not any difference

it sure as shit showed a difference for me when i got it. fully lit at idle i was only getting 12.5 volts now with the renegade alternator it runs at 13.5 volts all day long at idle fully lit.

Attachments

• all lit up.jpg
    all lit up.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 24

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you do not like the idea of letting the computer control the alternator field current just add a external voltage regulator like I did.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'll go with the rock auto Denso. Same price as a remanned.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
it sure as shit showed a difference for me when i got it. fully lit at idle i was only getting 12.5 volts now with the renegade alternator it runs at 13.5 volts all day long at idle fully lit.

:happy175:
I get 13.7 or so all the time on both of my STOCK SPORT alternators
Happy you think it makes a difference

RenKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It looks like he might have enough lights to push the limits of the stock alternator [emoji14]

The renegade alternator can push an extra ~10amps at idle, so if he was getting close to the max for the stock alternator at idle it would drop to its minimum regulated voltage (12.5) as it tried to maintain current, when he has extra capacity available the voltage returns to its max around 14 because the alternator is easily maintaining current

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
It looks like he might have enough lights to push the limits of the stock alternator [emoji14]

The renegade alternator can push an extra ~10amps at idle, so if he was getting close to the max for the stock alternator at idle it would drop to its minimum regulated voltage (12.5) as it tried to maintain current, when he has extra capacity available the voltage returns to its max around 14 because the alternator is easily maintaining current

Maybe check out what Troy, ( tjkj) is running light wise and sound wise, with stock alternator
Personally I had at one time , pair of Hella fogs, headlights, pair of LED pods, and 6 hellas just on the front of mine, at idle it never dimmed
You can throw figures out all day still doesn't change anything at all:emotions34:
Hoosier, stock just what came with the KJ will work just fine

BigRich201

Full Access Member
Reaction score

yeah but none of your jeeps have the amount of lights mine does. my lights never dimmed but 12.5 volts fully lit was a bit scary so i upgraded. and since i did no more voltage drop

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Maybe check out what Troy, ( tjkj) is running light wise and sound wise, with stock alternator
Personally I had at one time , pair of Hella fogs, headlights, pair of LED pods, and 6 hellas just on the front of mine, at idle it never dimmed
You can throw figures out all day still doesn't change anything at all:emotions34:
Hoosier, stock just what came with the KJ will work just fine
Yeah I'm just getting the 136 one...no extras besides the winch. Probably go with the Denso one from rockauto.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah but none of your jeeps have the amount of lights mine does. my lights never dimmed but 12.5 volts fully lit was a bit scary so i upgraded. and since i did no more voltage drop
I do....................

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Plus a winch and more lights facing rearwards.

With stock 136amp alternator I was still over 14 volts with all the lights on,would dip down to 12 volts with all lights and using the winch but the winch does draw 400+ amps which no alternator can keep up with.

2 years ago I did replace it with a slightly juiced 145amp OE alternator(denso version),replaced just due to age not failing.I now output 14.5 volts with all the lights on,guess the 11 year old OE 136amp alternator was getting a tad tired.

At idle the renny alternator(160amp) does not put out any more amps then the stock 136 amp version.At 5000rpm's(alternator speed,cruise speed of vehicle) the difference between the renny alt and 136amp alt is 11amps.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

I see 8 Hellas in your sig
so how is that more ? LOL
Its all in fun but :emotions34:

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One way to make sure you get all you can out of a alternator is to ditch the computer controlled voltage regulator and add a external voltage regulator. I can change the charging voltage to what ever I want, but I never want to be running anything over 14.8 volts.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One way to make sure you get all you can out of a alternator is to ditch the computer controlled voltage regulator and add a external voltage regulator. I can change the charging voltage to what ever I want, but I never want to be running anything over 14.8 volts.
The one in the PCM is exactly like a external regulator,just different locations and does the exact same thing.

There are only 2 differences....................

1-if the PCM 1 goes you need a new PCM(very rare for PCM integrated regulators to go bad,very common for external regulators to go bad).

2-the PCM regulator will reduce,or stop charging the battery under high heat conditions which will extend the life of the battery.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Reminds me of the old cowboy who couldn't count the cows as fast as they ran through a gate. Trail boss told him to just count their feet and divide it by four.

Bob.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The reason why I have a external voltage regulator is because the internal one crapped out and I was not going to pay thousands of dollars to replace the ECM.