Bending tri link?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
How likely is it that the rear tri link would break/bend when putting new bushings/ new ball joint in it if I had a shop with a press do it? It's $174 for 2 new bushings and a ball joint (all Mopar) or $350 for the Mopar new arm. The arm now barely has any rust at all on it, just a few spots here and there. Surface rust.

robert.janowski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ball joint is bolted to the top of the rear end. You have to hit the bracket with a heavy hammer to get it released from the tri link. A shop shouldn't charge more than 20 dollor to change out each bushings. This is what you are getting into. Yes it's on a cherokee but its identical to the liberty
Watch "How replace Jeep rear control arms" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/usyLfFFrc2I

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
How likely is it that the rear tri link would break/bend when putting new bushings/ new ball joint in it if I had a shop with a press do it? It's $174 for 2 new bushings and a ball joint (all Mopar) or $350 for the Mopar new arm. The arm now barely has any rust at all on it, just a few spots here and there. Surface rust.

Its a toss up really, doesn't matter on how it looks as far as rusty or not.
The metal is thin from the get go, sometimes you can ease them out with a press, other times the metal starts to bend/ fold under the slightest amount of force. I've always ( well all except one time) went the new route and no down time.
I've had new bushings and ball joint here for the last 6 years but never used them, on EFlay now

robert.janowski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No not what the question was about. But let him know by watching it that it is very unlikely to get bent in the process. Plus he thought that the ball joint would come out with the tri link. This showed him that it didn't.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
The ball joint is bolted to the top of the rear end. You have to hit the bracket with a heavy hammer to get it released from the tri link. A shop shouldn't charge more than 20 dollor to change out each bushings. This is what you are getting into. Yes it's on a cherokee but its identical to the liberty
Watch "How replace Jeep rear control arms" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/usyLfFFrc2I

Remove the whole bracket from the rear diff, that way you can get the ball joint to release more easily.
Another youtube vid that is only part right :shrug::icon_lol:

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remove the whole bracket from the rear diff, that way you can get the ball joint to release more easily.
Another youtube vid that is only part right :shrug::icon_lol:

Isn't the ball join in the tri link on our setup vs in the bracket on the GC? I forget, honestly.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
No not what the question was about. But let him know by watching it that it is very unlikely to get bent in the process. Plus he thought that the ball joint would come out with the tri link. This showed him that it didn't.

Sorry not trying to be a smartbutt here, but when comparing things and looking at YouTbe vids ( which I find most are way off base) look at actual models and people who know what they are talking about.
But it is very likely to bend, more stories of ones bending than there are from those who actually succeeded.
Personally I tried two different times on my buddys press, ( works in a machine shops so knows what he doing)
The ball joint does come out with the tri-link, its part of the tri-link, its pressed into the tri-link
Not sure where you think its not

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Isn't the ball join in the tri link on our setup vs in the bracket on the GC? I forget, honestly.

Yes it is part of the tri-link on the KJs
maybe I should take a photo of some of the ones I have piled up just so it can be verified:shrug::gr_grin::gr_grin:
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Just watched that whole vid that was posted above
IF you follow that approach on a KJ you'd be taking about ten times the amount of time to do the job as it actually takes
These Tri-links are super easy to R&R
Biggest issue is with the ball joint and if its from the rust belt VERY hard to get out . Removing the whole bracket is faster and easier that way you're working out in the open getting it ( the ball joint) busted loose

McTudor

Reaction score
I agree with what Tom says.

Recently over on lostjeeps, I asked about the difficulty of replacing the bushings and ball joint on the tri-link.

This past weekend I decided to give it a shot, I removed the tri-link.

The ball joint actually came out pretty easily in the press, but when I tried the bushings the metal just buckled.

I just sucked it up and bought a replacement tri-link.

Looks like I am eating PB&J sandwiches for the next couple of weeks.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Looks like I'll get the Mopar one then...does $350 sound about right?
Thanks for the tips. Might not get to it for a bit but good to have it ready.

adamkrz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a used mopar one 64 dollars shipped, This time I added the extension from JBA So it sits now in a normal position and will last like it would in a non lifted jeep, You can really feel the difference now..Much more stable in the rear.