Bell housing to block "shim"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a trick to get that thing to stay in place while installing the engine? I almost had it by wiring it up to the heads but had a mount hang up and it popped off again. I'm gonna give that one more try but I was considering RTVing it to the block. :help:

I'm getting to old for this stuff. :gr_grin:

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I had that plate go out position twice installing the motor last year. Worst was getting it almost in place then having pull it out enough to fix it.
I put two of the bolts sort of in place to help hold it. I think the two near the bottom had the bolts thread backwards, either that or I finally got the dowel pins to hold the plate. I know I used bolts on one of the engines I've swapped to hold the plate not sure it was the 3.7.
I thought about using tape too. Or a zip tie but was concerned about getting it out once the transmission lines up. Honestly RTV sounds acceptable to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear it wasn't just me :happy175:

I finally got it on the third try. I had it the first time then it shifted and dropped. Pulled it all the way back out and wired it again with some thin braided copper wire. Figured if I couldn't get it out I'd just snip it off and it would squash when I torqued the bolts. Could feel it meet the dowels and got the bottom bolts that go from the block back into the bell housing started and all was good. I was thinking about using the two bottom ones to hold it too. Tape is also an interesting idea.

I've got 4 of the six bolts in and I'll go at it again tomorrow. Those two that the O2 sensor connectors mount to are tricky. :happy160:

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
It should stay on the dowel pins unless they came out of the block and are stuck in the trans.

That explains a lot. I was wondering why they would have the dowel pins on the wrong side! I thought the engineer was just a moron. I actually thought about trying to remove them but they seemed pretty happy on the ******. The wire trick worked very well in the end. The first time I didn't secure it enough.

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score

If the dowels are they should work, problem I had was the jerky way the motor moved during reinstallation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to picture a shim along the bellhousing - I can't remember it at all from when I did my engine swap.

Is the shim along the top of the bellhousing or all the way around? As I recall I just lined up the dowels with the holes in the ****** and bolted them back together.

Am I getting old and forgetful :Insane: Or did my engine/****** combo maybe not have a shim...?

Bob

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought they all had the shim but not sure. I think it's actually considered a starter spacer although it goes almost all the way around. Probably wouldn't have been a big deal if the dowels stayed put but it all worked out.

You must be registered for see images attach