Been popping in and out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

night9crawler95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all. Names Charles. I'm from NJ.

Just bought a 2002 Jeep Liberty 3.7L a couple weeks ago. I decided to join the forum and a couple others because what better advice to get than from those who know their jeeps best.

Also, I started running into a couple issues. My first: P0442 small evap code
My second: P0113 02 sensor code

The dealer I bought it from has looked at it multiple times and has said it was my gas ca for the evap code. My sensor code wasn't thrown around that time..

I finally took it to 2 other mechanics and told them what was going on. Went under the hood and saw vacuum hose was dry rotted and cracked. Went under the body and saw that the evap canister hoses were in the same condition and not secured on tightly.

Told the dealer and they have ordered the hoses. So they get switched out Thursday.

Now all of a sudden my jeep is making a tapping/grinding sound (very lightly) when I make turns (more pronounce when making sharp left turns). Thinking maybe it's the drivesharft or something dealing with the cv joints. Either way. I'm kinda [emoji35] [emoji20] [emoji51] [emoji299] all at the same time. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. So any suggestions as to what I should do?

My warranty for the drive train is 5000 miles or 3 months... whatever comes first.. most likely the 3 months.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all. Names Charles. I'm from NJ.

Just bought a 2002 Jeep Liberty 3.7L a couple weeks ago. I decided to join the forum and a couple others because what better advice to get than from those who know their jeeps best.

Also, I started running into a couple issues. My first: P0442 small evap code
My second: P0113 02 sensor code

The dealer I bought it from has looked at it multiple times and has said it was my gas ca for the evap code. My sensor code wasn't thrown around that time..

I finally took it to 2 other mechanics and told them what was going on. Went under the hood and saw vacuum hose was dry rotted and cracked. Went under the body and saw that the evap canister hoses were in the same condition and not secured on tightly.

Told the dealer and they have ordered the hoses. So they get switched out Thursday.

Now all of a sudden my jeep is making a tapping/grinding sound (very lightly) when I make turns (more pronounce when making sharp left turns). Thinking maybe it's the drivesharft or something dealing with the cv joints. Either way. I'm kinda [emoji35] [emoji20] [emoji51] [emoji299] all at the same time. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. So any suggestions as to what I should do?

My warranty for the drive train is 5000 miles or 3 months... whatever comes first.. most likely the 3 months.

Welcome! Definitely get the dealer to fix whatever the problem is if still under warranty!! (most likely CV on one side or another. Could also be CV on the front driveshaft on the Tcase end but that wouldn't explain the turning.)

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
(welcome)

And good luck with the problems, too. :favorites13:

night9crawler95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I spoke to them today and they said just let them know everything that's going on and they'll take care of it before it needs to be inspected which was supposed to be the 23rd.

Now today I'm having break issues. Every time I depress the break pedal it slowly hits the floor and if I keep my foot in one spot the jeep will start to roll forward unless I hit the floor all the way. I'm starting to think I made the wrong decision about this place I went to. They have a pretty good reputation for used cars too. Had the car barely a month...

night9crawler95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So now the car is at the dealer. They took a look and break fluid is spewed all over the wheel well and was actually leaking in their parking lot. Mechanic says the hose got disconnected and is rusted over time from the wheel bumping up against it. Either way they're getting things done today. At this point if things start breaking down one after another I'm looking to see if a replacement can be worked out for my much beloved Libby. [emoji31]

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what's the fine print with regards to buying used from the dealership?
You mentioned drivetrain warranty only. Anything else included?

You should probably check the front driveshaft rear CV as well.

night9crawler95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All is well and I finally got the car inspected. Got my sticker. They changed the hoses and replaced some pieces for the break lines behind the wheels. Checked the rest of them. No issues. No more knocking. I'm very satisfied. No onto my regular maintenance and slowly but surely making this baby my own.

CMEdge

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Glad they fixed you up. Good luck with the impending ownage. :favorites13:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad you got stuff fixed on their dime. Welcome to the forum.

Dave

Latest posts

Members online