BDS Suspension's Project KJ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was on the fence at first when this started. I was picturing the finished product looking different when the cutting started. That turned in to a pretty badass looking finished product though. I can admit, I was wrong.. I love this KJ and I'm jealous mine will never look this sweet.

BDS Suspension

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone we debuted our UA video last week during SEMA along with showing off Project KJ in the booth, check out the video at:
***BDS Suspension's 2013 Ultimate Adventure Video link***

We also have the Petersens 4Wheel & Off-Road Magazine's video coverage at:
***Petersen’s 4Wheel & Off-Road Magazine Ultimate Adventure 2013 Videos***

To watch all the build videos, daily updates on the Ultimate Adventure and the finished recap video, check out the BDS KJ playlist at:
***BDS Project KJ Buildup/Wheeling***

To see all the photos from the trip, head on over to the BDS Facebook Page and watch the Ultimate Adventure photos at:
***2013 Ultimate Adventure Coverage***

Last edited:

WickedBruce

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol. Thanks TBJ. I'm planning out my SFA so I was curious. So they wanted a less stiff ride for higher speeds?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Wasn't built to be a daily driver , so softer suspension = more flex off road . Its hauled everywhere pretty much except for the trip on UA.

Whoops already answered

BADLIBBY

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

Hello Everyone. This is Carter from BDS Suspension. I came across this site when doing some research for a new project vehicle. We specialize in developing American made suspension lifts and accessories for popular trucks and Jeeps backed with the industry's only no fine print warranty. We are the official suspension for the 2013 Ultimate Adventure hosted by Petersen's 4Wheel & Off-Road Magazine and with that comes the need for a trail rig to take on the trip. We've build plenty of TJs, JKs, and XJs over the years and thought it was time to show the KJ some love. For all the flack the KJ gets we want to build one to be a comfortable dual purpose rig, capable of highway cruising and extreme 4wheeling. We currently offer a 2'' lift kit for the KJ, but this project will be a bit more custom than a simple bolt on.

The problem we've seen with most KJs is due to the small fenders, you need to go sky high to clear a 35''+ tire. Our plan is to build a low slung KJ on 37''+ tires with minimal lift. We picked up an '05 Liberty CRD and plan to overhaul it over the next 2-3 months as time allows in the R&D shop. There's a lot up in the air at this point, but the guys started on the tear down to see the bones of this rig. Basic plans include a SAS, multi-link suspension with Fox coilovers, stubby bumper with recessed winch, full cage, plenty of body mods, engine tuning, and 37''+ tires on beadlock wheels. We'll be posting photos, videos, and writeups throughout the build primarily on our blog at Project KJ Archives » BDS Suspension Blog as well as posting on the BDS blog Facebook page, YouTube page, and on a couple forums. Stay tuned for more in the coming days/weeks as this project starts to take shape.

-Carter

What are the part numbers for ALL the Fox suspension components? And what would that ballpark price be?

BADLIBBY

Reaction score
Wasn't built to be a daily driver , so softer suspension = more flex off road . Its hauled everywhere pretty much except for the trip on UA.

Whoops already answered

What are the part numbers for ALL the Fox suspension components? And what would that ballpark price be you think tom?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
What are the part numbers for ALL the Fox suspension components? And what would that ballpark price be you think tom?
All custom tuned suspension on that one
One of those if you have to ask the price you more than likely can't afford it
Lots of $$$$$$$$$

p14175

Reaction score
BadLibby thanks for bringing this thread back to life!

I like the front bumper but couldn't find a lot of pictures of it. Too bad most of the ones posted in the thread are no longer available, but what I could locate plus the videos will provide more than enough data.

Maybe one of these days a member of this forum can take part in Four Wheeler's Overland Adventure.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
BadLibby thanks for bringing this thread back to life!

I like the front bumper but couldn't find a lot of pictures of it. Too bad most of the ones posted in the thread are no longer available, but what I could locate plus the videos will provide more than enough data.

Maybe one of these days a member of this forum can take part in Four Wheeler's Overland Adventure.

I have some somewhere of the front bumper
will try to find them
Took them while it was being built
but it was pretty much just a piece of 2x6 welded onto frame ends that tied roll cage everything together

p14175

Reaction score
Thanks Tom.
I like the shape and the tight fit. I'm short (5'3"). A small bumper like that would make it easier for me to access the engine compartment w/o using a step stool. Plus: How did they get the winch inside? Haven't looked at the pics yet.