BDS / Bilstein 2" lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Havok

Reaction score
Hi.
New to posting but have been lurking a while.

After some research and deliberation (some of you will know me from another forum) I decided to do a BDS coils and Bilstein shocks lift. it's a 2" lift from what I understand.

Anyone any further opinions on this?
Things I need to look out for before I go ahead?

The lift is for a Extreme Sports edition 3.7l. "Cherokee".

I decided to get Velocity Raptor A/T tyres but went a bit wider to 245/70/16.
You must be registered for see images attach

I get a little rubbing when reversing at full lock should do fine after the lift.
Apparently I need to make sure i get new sleeves that fit for the rear Shocks if one go with the Bilstein route.
Any advice appreciated regarding the lift i'm about to do.

Last edited:

Havok

Reaction score
Which bilsteins are you going for in the rear?

Part number:
Front: F4-BE5-D916-H0
Rear: F4-BE5-6458-H7

Nice looking tires! I also have been looking at the BDS lift myself.

yeah I went Wheeling in the dunes here with some other Jeep guys and they swear by BDS. I suppose with a no nonsense warranty like BDS has whats not to like?

Last edited:

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
push the sleaves out of your old shocks for those and should fit just fine since you won't be going back to them. Will probably take more time to get the old sleaves out then to do the rear.

Havok

Reaction score
push the sleaves out of your old shocks for those and should fit just fine since you won't be going back to them. Will probably take more time to get the old sleaves out then to do the rear.

Thanks for the tip!

richar43

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just ordered a BDS lift for my jeep, and I have been talking to a few individuals, and they said it is performing well, and if you want a little more lift use the 3/8 boiler shim, plus a clevis lift in the front, and i think1 or 2 extra iso's in the rear. However I am going with rancho shocks & struts.

Havok

Reaction score
I took this to the mech shop to install.
The stuff is in and looks great.

I have a problem though when i go over speed bumps (not even at too much speed.) - there is a hard "thud" noise from the front. They seem to think it might be the control arms touching the spring (i still have the stock arms). I trust that they are correct but in the back of my mind i feel it's somethign else as the noise is happening when you hit the bump. Could it be that the control arm contacts the spring on the way up?
it's quite a unsettling sound and a hard jolt can be felt while driving over the bumps. I asked if the shock can be bottoming out but they say thatits not what is happening.

I just want to ask if there is anything else that could be happening here other than the arms?

richar43

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try checking your swaybar linkages, and make sure they are tight with a load on them. The reason I mention this, I had the same thud, from the front end, and after tightening everything one at atime, I was able to isolate it to the sway bar links.....just a suggestion..

Havok

Reaction score
Thanks Richar I'll ask the guys to have a look at that.

This might be a noob question and I've looked all over and I get kinda different results.

OME suspenjsion = No bumpstops needed
BDS/BIlstein? Do I need bumpstops?
THis would not be the shocks bottoming out surely? As I dont have extended bumpstops in yet.
Are bumpstops there to protect the Coils or the Shock. Will the shock bottom out before the coils fully compress?
My installers and the guys providing the Lift kit are adamant that the shocks is not bottoming out and I wont need bumpstops on this setup.

At the moment I'm thinking of getting Terraflex bumpstops and Als A Arms. But I kinda have a feeling the impact I'm getting over bumps is something else. So I'll check the Sway bar links as suggested. What do I look for exactly?

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
swaybar links that need checked are these:
You must be registered for see images

They need to be tightened while there is load on them. Make sure the jeep is fully on the ground when they are tightened.

when you jack up the front of the jeep, check to see if the upper a-arms are hitting the spring.

Now, let us know how high it is by measuring from the center of the wheel hub to the bottom of the flare.

..and put some pics of it up!!!!

Last edited:

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the arm touches the spring it will make a "gong" sound. check for missing paint on the coil spring if you anticipate it striking. Chalk the top of the stock UCA if your convinced its touching the bump stop. Might as well rule it out.

I manage to hit my JBA UCA and extended bump stops regularly on pavement (or down in the holes in the pavement) without much added weight (Gas, 927, mopar skids)

Bump stops are cheap and would recommend them as shocks and coils are expensive. Especially if your adding a top plate. Terraflex is the correct bump stop that everybody uses for front. They will keep you from Overcompressing the spring, thus making it last longer. No idea if shock hits or spring stacks first, try to avoid both.

all sway bar links, UCA inside bolts should be torqued with the weight on the tires to avoid preloading the bushings. Loosen with tires on weight of vehicle and retorque to see if it goes away.

Havok

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions guys.
The arms are touching the springs, there is a bit of paint off. So I guess I can sort that out with the a arms.
The sound is not a gong sound though.
It's really a harsh thud. So I will check with the chalk - good tip.
Thanks again for the help so far...

Havok

Reaction score
swaybar links that need checked are these:
You must be registered for see images

They need to be tightened while there is load on them. Make sure the jeep is fully on the ground when they are tightened.

when you jack up the front of the jeep, check to see if the upper a-arms are hitting the spring.

Now, let us know how high it is by measuring from the center of the wheel hub to the bottom of the flare.

..and put some pics of it up!!!!

Still having the issue.

What if I disconnect the sway bar at the bottom to try isolate the noise?

I put some grease on every part I think could be touching the part below or above. no grease transfer.

BDS seems to have an idea that the coil might have been put in the wrong way round causing it to bind. i.e there is a small notch in the top plate that needs to line up to the bottom piece of the strut.

Anyway i'm going to go check the sway bar now as per your suggestion. i'll post some pics a bit later.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
If the UCA is hitting the coil there is your noise more than likley it will cause quite a racket when it hits

Havok

Reaction score
If the UCA is hitting the coil there is your noise more than likley it will cause quite a racket when it hits

hey Tom.

Will it cause the jarring/ thudding noise? it really feels like it's hitting something very solid.
Its going in again tomorrow. For them to check if they aligned the notches etc properly. Hold thumbs.

Pics and measurements as promised:
Measurements:

Before tyres.
Front Wheel hub to fender flare: 440mm
Rear Wheel hub to fender flare: 450mm
Front ground to fender flare: 785mm
Rear ground to fender flare: 795mm
Utmost lowest point to ground 153mm

After BDS/Bilstein lift and Tyres:
Front Wheel hub to fender flare: 545mm
Rear Wheel hub to fender flare: 555mm
Front ground to fender flare: 895mm