Battery terminal is toasted

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As soon as possible go out to the Jeep and check under the red plastic cover on your positive battery terminal. In the picture below you will see the damage caused by the corrosion of said terminal. Almost left me stranded if not for my ingenuity, a pocket knife (which was damaged by starting the Jeep with it as the contact between the broken terminal and the battery post.), and an Al's Auto Supply spark plug gapper. Oh and a new terminal runs about 99 cents and so do the cloth corrosion prevention rings. Sorry about the crappy cell phone pics.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I had a similar thing happen with the factory battery. not less than a month or so (give or take a few days)
The + terminal had melted/drooped some 4.5 mm.
I decided to replace the battery with an Optima Red top.
Dressed the battery clamp with some baking soda solution to prevent further corrosion.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Midnight.....thanks for the heads up to lift the red cover and check. Looks like you had a lot of "ugly" hiding under there.

Dave

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
clean terminals with baking soda and water, use wire brush, scrub them and get the corrosion off. once you have everything cleaned up, coat terminals and cables with vaseline, don't use anything but pure vaseline, 100% petrolium jelly. it will conduct but keep from building corrosion, youll be surprised how clean they stay

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did the terminal actually crack?? If it did, then you will have to cut it off and crimp in a new one. I had to do that to my negative terminal.

To keep the corrosion away, I use dielectric grease, or petroleum jelly to keep it from corroding again. Check it periodically.

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The corrosion usually occurs when the battery has just about had it. Be ready to buy a new one!!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
thats one of those things you need to check and clean every oil change,
its not a real problem
its only neglect

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try checking the water level in the battery. If it is low refill with distilled water.

I would never open a battery after what just happened to me. changed the battery out on ours when it went totally dead. everything was fine, loaded in the back to take home and dispense of, started to leak, took it out of the trunk, splashed...in face, eyes, clothes (blarg)

don't F with a battery - sulfuric acid is brutal

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
WOW!!! That's one of the worst cases of battery corrosion I've ever seen! I'm surprised your Jeep was still starting on a daily basis, not to mention your amplifier!

I'm kind of a maintenance maniac. The WK better be OK. :p But let me go check the KJ...

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't even think that would be an issue on a 2006. Now with the new terminal there will be no red cover to hide it anyway.
Interestingly I had to change the positive terminal on my mother's '05 a couple of months ago but the terminals on my '03 look pretty much brand-spanking new. Luckily the terminal swap was simple - go to the parts store for some terminals (paid $3 or so for a pair), unbolt the old one and bolt on the new one. Took about a half-hour with the drive to the store.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Looks like there's a little bit building up on the negative terminal. Bah, I just changed this battery in October. I'll get that cleaned up in a bit, and put some Petroleum Jelly on it.

Anyone know exactly WHY this happens?

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interestingly I had to change the positive terminal on my mother's '05 a couple of months ago but the terminals on my '03 look pretty much brand-spanking new. Luckily the terminal swap was simple - go to the parts store for some terminals (paid $3 or so for a pair), unbolt the old one and bolt on the new one. Took about a half-hour with the drive to the store.

So you probably spent more on gas to get there and pack than you did on parts.

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WOW!!! That's one of the worst cases of battery corrosion I've ever seen! I'm surprised your Jeep was still starting on a daily basis, not to mention your amplifier!

I'm kind of a maintenance maniac. The WK better be OK. :p But let me go check the KJ...

Well the reason I discovered it was because it didn't start on a daily basis yesterday. Fortunately I was in the middle of a wicked rain storm and my cell phone had a good charge.

Maximum Carnage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
clean terminals with baking soda and water, use wire brush, scrub them and get the corrosion off. once you have everything cleaned up, coat terminals and cables with vaseline, don't use anything but pure vaseline, 100% petrolium jelly. it will conduct but keep from building corrosion, youll be surprised how clean they stay

That is exactly what I do.

MidnightLiberty, that is one heck of a corrosion "problem".

Last edited:

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dumb question, do all "maintenance free' batteries say "maintenance free" on them? I absent mindedly bought a new battery some time ago, then began to wonder after the fact if it's maint. free. It has removable covers and you can see the water inside, but the batter itself doesn't say "maintenance free" anywhere on it.