battery light keeps coming on again

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok i did all the tests and it all pointed back to a bad/remanned alt. i took it back to the store and they put it on their tester. it failed instantly. they got another one and it passed. its on the jeep now and all is well. the battery is charging and hits 13.something to 14 something depending on whats on. drove it for a little and all seems well.

all i know is the parts industry is bs now. im restoring a 70 maverick and getting the most simple things for it is a mystery to the parts guys. then when i finally get the part, its cheap crap.

btw heres my 70 maverick if u want to scroll through the post and see the pics...

Satchel McQueens 70 Maverick On Going Project (pics) | Maverick/Comet Forums

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok i did all the tests and it all pointed back to a bad/remanned alt. i took it back to the store and they put it on their tester. it failed instantly. they got another one and it passed. its on the jeep now and all is well. the battery is charging and hits 13.something to 14 something depending on whats on. drove it for a little and all seems well.

all i know is the parts industry is bs now. im restoring a 70 maverick and getting the most simple things for it is a mystery to the parts guys. then when i finally get the part, its cheap crap.

btw heres my 70 maverick if u want to scroll through the post and see the pics...

Satchel McQueens 70 Maverick On Going Project (pics) | Maverick/Comet Forums
Yep advance auto,autozone,and o'reilly's have ruined the autoparts area by offering cheap crap that forced CARQUEST and Napa to offer a cheap crap line also.

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep advance auto,autozone,and o'reilly's have ruined the autoparts area by offering cheap crap that forced CARQUEST and Napa to offer a cheap crap line also.

Autozone is the worst for anything, seriously. Won't work with me on anything and their employees are idiots... I like O'reillys commercial section. They've always treated me well and have great customer service, not to mention I work for their biggest customer in the area I'm in so they tend to my needs pretty easily. Can't say I like the house brand from them but it works in a pinch for some people. Advance has been pretty good lately, definitely stepped up their game in the commercial world, they'll run wherever I ask them to, but so does O'reillys.

k99jk99j

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad it is sorted out! But keep an eye on that 2nd reman. Usually with electrical parts if they make it 30 days, in service, you got a good part. Mike

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score

something i cant understand is the people who they hire to work there. it isnt that theyre stupid, its just they have no clue about autos or mechanics. i have literally had to walk behind the counter and grab a part myself because the guy didnt know what a coil was. this is just one example of many. i understand that younger people arent going to know who makes a maverick, but it looks to me like the 50yr old guy would...which he didnt. i only go in if i need little items for my restore because its so annoying. its always "who makes a maverick?"

even on the jeep stuff, i still am lucky if the person knows anything of how to look it up. i had a girl the other day come out and watch me install my battery because she didnt know how.

when i was unemployed a few years ago i applied to several of these stores. i took the hours long application/test online for each of them. i passed their auto knowledge tests and only missed 2 questions out of 150 on one of them. i never even got the first call for an interview, yet "battery girl" is working there.

they have cheaped out the parts and also the labor. i cringe everytime i need something and have to go in one of these places.

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and thanks all for the help. this multimeter tool is awesome. i wish id have got one way back when i was a teenager. but that was before all the computer stuff took over. it saved me so much time and i actually learned something new.

edit. the tool came with a temp reading wire. funny thing is my arms are about 97 degrees, but my balls are 103!

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and thanks all for the help. this multimeter tool is awesome. i wish id have got one way back when i was a teenager. but that was before all the computer stuff took over. it saved me so much time and i actually learned something new.

edit. the tool came with a temp reading wire. funny thing is my arms are about 97 degrees, but my balls are 103!

You gotta let em cool back down after you're done pounding on em! :eek:
Good to hear you got it sorted out, hopefully this alternator will last longer.
A Maverick eh, that's more from my era. Is it the 302 Grabber or a putt-putt model?

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, what year and what engine?

My best friend's mom has a '72 with the 302 and glasspacks (she bought it new). Damn ton of fun to drive, but you can watch the gas gauge drop if you put your foot in it...

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it's just a thermocouple at the end of the wire.

These thermocouplers are pretty useful things to have...on a previous vehicle I owned which shall remain un-named I fitted it into the CAC hoses...it was a turbodiesel...to measure air temperatures being pumped into the intake manifold using various types of intercoolers.

Water cooled intercoolers gave the best and most consistant results!

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
something i cant understand is the people who they hire to work there. it isnt that theyre stupid, its just they have no clue about autos or mechanics. i have literally had to walk behind the counter and grab a part myself because the guy didnt know what a coil was. this is just one example of many. i understand that younger people arent going to know who makes a maverick, but it looks to me like the 50yr old guy would...which he didnt. i only go in if i need little items for my restore because its so annoying. its always "who makes a maverick?"

even on the jeep stuff, i still am lucky if the person knows anything of how to look it up. i had a girl the other day come out and watch me install my battery because she didnt know how.

when i was unemployed a few years ago i applied to several of these stores. i took the hours long application/test online for each of them. i passed their auto knowledge tests and only missed 2 questions out of 150 on one of them. i never even got the first call for an interview, yet "battery girl" is working there.

they have cheaped out the parts and also the labor. i cringe everytime i need something and have to go in one of these places.
Yeah I'm pretty much banned from all of them here since I used to go into them for laughs.My KJ would confuse the hell out of them and no one working at them can look up a part without year/make/model even for something simple as wiper blades.Even if you give them there own part #'s they have no clue.

I walk into any of them and ask for a set 21 bearing,they ask year/make/model,I walk into a Napa/CARQUEST and they turn around and 60 seconds later they slap a set 21 bearing down in front of me.

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You gotta let em cool back down after you're done pounding on em! :eek:
Good to hear you got it sorted out, hopefully this alternator will last longer.
A Maverick eh, that's more from my era. Is it the 302 Grabber or a putt-putt model?

a putt putt for now. 200cid. 302 is coming by the end of the year if the funds allow. going to use my 70 f 100 block and build it to hell and back. lol

Last edited:

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do my own parts lookup at O'Reillys "First Call" professional web site, then hit the order button. My local store does have two guys that are as good as I've seen and one young, very cute, GIRL (maybe 20) who's really showing a surprising aptitude for the vocation .

Bob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I'm pretty much banned from all of them here since I used to go into them for laughs.My KJ would confuse the hell out of them and no one working at them can look up a part without year/make/model even for something simple as wiper blades.Even if you give them there own part #'s they have no clue.

I walk into any of them and ask for a set 21 bearing,they ask year/make/model,I walk into a Napa/CARQUEST and they turn around and 60 seconds later they slap a set 21 bearing down in front of me.

yep, the only one left i like is one in my home town thats a 2hr drive from where i live now. its owned and ran buy a few older guys. it was like you said at napa, you ask for something and they instantly walk away and bring the part back most of the time without even looking it up.

i asked the local advanced auto if they had E clips so i could fix the shifter on my maverick. i didnt see them on the shelf in the random parts area is the only reason i asked. the guy looked confused and went to the computer and asked what it was for. i told him it didnt matter because its a universal type part. i even drew it for him on paper and just wanted to know if they had it in the back somewhere. he asked again what it was going on, so i just left.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
My multimeter came with a temp gauge wire too. Good thing, because I sure as heck ain't borrowing yours. :icon_lol:

Latest posts

Members online