Bang!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

04renegade

Reaction score
i have a 3 inch rough country lift put on my jeep and i was wondering what the loud banging noise is when i hit a bump... it only happens when the tires extend not when theyre compressed. it doesnt have to be a big bump either, but it usualy happens at faster than crawling speed. is this "normal" or is it something i should get "fixed"? it started happening as soon as i got the lift installed...

KJ04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jack one side of the front up to get the tire off the ground and see if the spring is touching the upper ball joint or very close to it. You should see scrape marks on the spring if it's hitting.

tdamocles

Reaction score
This lift has a 'loose' spacer between the clevis and the strut? No locking bolt? :eek:
You must be registered for see images

That is an odd spacer...How does it physically attach to the shock? Maybe that's the banging?

KJ04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's the thing, it doesn't attach to the shock. It just sits there.

In theory nothing can happen because all the cars weight is pressing down on it, but at full droop??? Or at a high speed 'jumping' over a bump?? If the cars nose jumps up the strut might move up and down inside the spacer :eek: As I said, crappy front end lift. I've seen other spacers like these but they at least had a locking bolt.

BTW: this is the same as an OTT lift, but then on the other side of the strut. Will bottom out. Will kill the strut. And if it bumps out of the spacer (whenever a spring brakes after bottoming out 30x) might kill the driver....Before you get any lift: do your homework, there's tons of info on this site about what is good and what not.

Nothing is going to jump out of anywhere. Look at the picture, it's showing the upper BJ discoed. When you connect the BJ everything will be under compression with the clevis bolt tightened and will not move anywhere.

KJ04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You sure about that? The strut is fitted to the body. The uca an lca can move up and down. Say for arguments sake I remove the spring in this set up. Than I can just push the strut out of the spacer. UBJ connected or not.

The spring, and strut are held together by the strut plate as one unit right? What you don't see in the pic is the bottom of the strut end sitting down in that gray colored clevis spacer.

04renegade

Reaction score
i didnt see any scrape marks, but it does look like it could hit... i havent been able to jack it up because its too muddy outside do to all the rain. but i will as soon as it clears up. my space looks pretty much like that one in the picture, except mine is alluminum. so is there any "easy" fixes to this? or would it be better to just get a new front suspension lift? if so what would be a good one to go with to get 3"?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i didnt see any scrape marks, but it does look like it could hit... i havent been able to jack it up because its too muddy outside do to all the rain. but i will as soon as it clears up. my space looks pretty much like that one in the picture, except mine is alluminum. so is there any "easy" fixes to this? or would it be better to just get a new front suspension lift? if so what would be a good one to go with to get 3"?

Easiest fix would be to add a home made bumpstop:

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

KJ04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why would you want a bump stop or anything hitting the upper B.J. period? The proper fix would be Al's A-Arms to gain clearance without any contact to the B.J..

04renegade

Reaction score
This lift has a 'loose' spacer between the clevis and the strut? No locking bolt? :eek:
So that banging you hear is either the UCA (upper control arm) hitting the spacer or the spring or the strut moving in the spacer..
Crappy unsafe lift . Sorry. Get rid of it. Fit OME front springs with a puck so you gain the same 3". Might set you back $150/ $200 but you and your KJ will stay alive a lot longer...
You talked about OME front springs...where would you find something like that? like what site. and how does it work..it just replaces the stock springs? wouldnt i still have the same problem with the UCA hitting the spacer or spring by being fully decompressed?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
no you would not have the same problems, what you bought is a complete rip off, sorry but thats just the fact it is, get a set of OME Heavy Duty springs, several places sell them for 130/140 bucks and do away with that bottom piece. Also get some new front struts as yours are shot by now I would assume

04renegade

Reaction score
yeah youre right mine are shot now...lol. sorry for being tedious, but what would keep the UCA from hitting the springs if i had a 3" lift with the OME spings? wouldnt the UCA be that much closer to the springs if my jeep was lifted 3"?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no, with the spacer it lets the suspension droop more. If you had taller springs and no spacers it would droop the same as it did when it was stock, so no banging.

04renegade

Reaction score
well i ordered a pair of OME HD springs and pair of rancho 17505's... should that be good for now? i am going to buy al's a-arms soon just incase, plus its supposed to be stronger, and it looks better..

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i ordered a pair of OME HD springs and pair of rancho 17505's... should that be good for now? i am going to buy al's a-arms soon just incase, plus its supposed to be stronger, and it looks better..

Should do you just fine.

The al's arms are not NEEDED with a good lift like you will be putting on there but they are a lot better than the stock arms now that he has them all figured out.

Hope everything works out. :)