Balljoint question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02LibertyLimitedChick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a question......are the balljoints different from an '02 Liberty than the ones in an '06 Liberty? Sorry if this is a dumb question......but tomorrow a.m. I am going in finally for my recall to be done, and the *bright ones* at the dealer seemed to have had alot of confusion as to which Jeep was coming in for the recall, as my Jeep is under my Aunt's name, who also has an '06 Liberty. I emphasized MULTIPLE times it was the '02 coming in, and since I had to wait over a month for the parts to get here, I am really hoping they ordered the right ones! The woman on the phone claims they did, but I want to make sure! Thanks

richre1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Ball Joints Are The Same. But Makes No Difference Anyway They Oder Them According To Your Vin Number.

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm... I have an '06 built in June of 2006. I bought the Liberty a month ago and after reading the ball joint recall on this forum I did two things...

- I contacted my dealer to see if the recall applied to my Liberty. I was told no.

- I went to the Jeep web site and ran my VIN number. No open recall calls came back on my vehicle.

So... are all Liberty's being recalled as stated in a post above, or is there a cutoff date as my dealer told me???

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmmm... I have an '06 built in June of 2006. I bought the Liberty a month ago and after reading the ball joint recall on this forum I did two things...

- I contacted my dealer to see if the recall applied to my Liberty. I was told no.

- I went to the Jeep web site and ran my VIN number. No open recall calls came back on my vehicle.

So... are all Liberty's being recalled as stated in a post above, or is there a cutoff date as my dealer told me???

I don't know the answer to your question for sure. I thought it was all of them through 06 but do not want to give bad info. It might also go by a build date.

You could go on the Mopar website and there is an option where you can e-mail D/C directly and ask a question. That way you will get an answer straight from the horses mouth so to speak. I'd put up a link, but I don't know how.

If you find out, let us know. Sorry I can't be any better help.

Dave

K Dje Ryu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You didn't answer the question.... I wasn't asking about Moogs.

point. Sorry. But, honestly, why not? Unless you just can't afford the labor and/or parts/tools. I'm a machinist and I can tell you that even "stainless" steel will corrode without something to prevent it. I just don't understand how a ball joint that can't be greased is going to last any length of time.

I don't know the "for sure" answer to your question either, though. I read somewhere (not sure of the source now, so I guess it's not really accurate) that every kj was to be recalled for this. Perhaps the reason for some of the newer ones not showing up is simply that DCX isn't putting them on the list because they just don't have the parts to replace them yet, and since they're newer....

But, that's ALL just speculation from my pov, not to be taken at all seriously, just pondering. Again, sorry, I can't answer your question.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You didn't answer the question.... I wasn't asking about Moogs.

Sometimes its not always that easy for people.. Some people may not have the money to pay someone to put them in and may not have the time/know how to do it their self.. :)

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm... I have an '06 built in June of 2006.

All 2002-2006 KJ's have been recalled, over 800,000 of them. There is no reason that your dealership should deny you the recall unless it shows that the vehicle has had the recall performed on. To visually check poke your head under the front and see if the lower ball joints have a heat shield that "protects" them from overheating. The heat shield indicates they have been updated (should have been).

k99jk99j

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the factory started putting the new and improved ball joints in march/april of 2006. your build month of june will have the new style ball joints! that is why yours are not on the recall. mike

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
^ What he said. Now, the FIRST ball joint recall announced back in 2003, the heat shields were installed, along with new joints IF THEY FAILED THE TOLERANCE TEST. If they did NOT fail, new joints were NOT installed.

All KJs from then on have the heat shields from the factory.

Hmm...

Who's up for a ball joint recall in 2009? lol3.gif I'm pretty sure the NHTSA is pissed at Chrysler, and this time... they can't make up a new excuse and they'll probably have to install some beefier suspension part, such as that on the Dodge Nitro.