Ball joint for rear tailgate struts severely rusted...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NoVA_KJ

Reaction score
So, my rear window struts finally kicked it after years of opening up halfway. I went to install new ones, and the ball joints they connect to were shot. All of the original black paint flaked off and the rust was so bad and pitted, some of the ball joints looked like little raisins. I cleaned up the loose paint and rust as best I could and installed the struts, but they wouldn't join properly and don't ride smoothly. One of the struts ended up popping off and getting damaged when I unwittingly opened the tailgate.

I've looked all over the internet for replacement ball joints with no success. Any suggestions on how to address this?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
May want to ask a dealer bodyshop or get em from a JY IDK.
I am wondering if they could be modded to work.
There are two joints one on the body side and one on the glass side, are they both bad?
L or R side is coming off?
Can you post a photo of what is left of them?

NoVA_KJ

Reaction score
The L & R glass sides are pretty rusted. The Body side is moderately rusted on the R. Here's a pic of the L glass side. The photo doesn't capture how pitted it is. The strut didn't ride well on it at all.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
If mainly it is the glass sides, oppsie my rear window got broke somehow.. lol..

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.