Bad U joint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

72specialized

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My rear u joint started to vibrate yesterday. Today it was vibrating quite a bit around the 80km/hr range and when I got on the gas. I have a trip tomorrow booked that involves about three hours of driving. An hour and a half there and back. The trip is to go off roading on some trails North of here. Is it advisable to trust the joint for that much work or just bail on the trip? Never had a vehicle with a drive shaft before so not too sure how long this thing will live like that. Help!!!

Alan

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your going off road and/or high speed driving(highway speeds) it can let go at anytime.Not pretty when they let loose and will cost a lot more then $20 for a new u-joint and 20mins to change it.

72specialized

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the advise. That's kinda what I thought. In the great words of Homer Simpson. Doh!

Is this something that goes often in these things? I had it changed at the dealer not that long ago. I think it's time for an upgrade and learn how to change it.

Last edited:

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this something that goes often in these things? I had it changed at the dealer not that long ago. I think it's time for an upgrade and learn how to change it.

No not often. The dealer did something terribly wrong if the replaced u-joint is bad already. I just did mine at 135k miles, and they weren't what I would call very bad, only slightly chattered and not sloppy. Are you positive it's a u-joint vibe you're feeling?

72specialized

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya I slid underneath and there is a large amount of play in the joint to the point where I can see the shiny parts of the joint when I wiggle the drive shaft. Tons of movement there.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even if the needle bearings were gone you generally wouldn't have that kind of lateral movement since the caps nearly bottom out on the cross. Did you check to make sure you didn't lose one or more of the retainer clips, letting the cap slide out of the hole some?

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And to clarify which "shiny part" you're seeing. Is it the surface upon which the bearings ride, or further in towards the center where the seal is?

72specialized

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It appears to be where the seal is. Close to the Center of the joint. There is about a mm to 2mm of play. 0.078 of an inch is 2mm.

Last edited:

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From your first description I was picturing you describing the bearing surface. Still, you shouldn't even be able to pull it aside to see beneath where the seal is. Sum-ting-wong!

72specialized

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I picked up a new U joint. I got the retaining pins out at the four points of the U joint on the truck. I unbolted the drive shaft from the rear diff and have been trying to hammer out the U joint while under the Jeep. Not working so well at all. How do I remove the drive shaft from under the truck so I have some ore room to swing the hammer to push the U joint out?

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take the 4 nuts off the rear caps pry it forward till u joints clear drop the rear of the drive shaft down and slide it back. Don't bang on it till you get it out might have to use a big screw driver to pry it forward.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Well I picked up a new U joint. I got the retaining pins out at the four points of the U joint on the truck. I unbolted the drive shaft from the rear diff and have been trying to hammer out the U joint while under the Jeep. Not working so well at all. How do I remove the drive shaft from under the truck so I have some ore room to swing the hammer to push the U joint out?

Bet its not working, remove the whole driveshaft and get it out where you can work on it. Then if you don't have access to a vise ( another important tool everyone should have IMO) then with sockets etc you can gently hammer it out

72specialized

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The "slip joint" (not sure of the technical name) of the drive shaft has a rubber boot over it. Do I remove the rubber boot and pull the drive shaft apart?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
The "slip joint" (not sure of the technical name) of the drive shaft has a rubber boot over it. Do I remove the rubber boot and pull the drive shaft apart?

Clamp on the rubber boot, remove it and pull the driveshaft out. Some just use a wire tie to fasten after you reinstall

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry. wire ties in my neck of the woods are different then a zippy tie, like what's on a bread bag. I knew what you meant but just pictured someone doing something different.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, maybe bread wire ties is what they use in his neck of the woods. lol
I did my u-joint replacement in conjunction with the clutch job. I removed the original strap clamp without damaging, and planned to reuse it since I have cv clamp pliers. After the test drive, the clamp was gone...."some knucklehead" forgot to fasten it back together! So a zip strip it was, and it worked wonders.