Bad front end hum

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RioT_StartR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Over the last few weeks I've began to notice an awful lot of road Hum up front, louder the faster I drive and very loud when turning. On top of that, I inspected my front tires and they are wearing smooth close to the outer sidewall. :uhoh2::uhoh2::uhoh2:

To make things worse the last couple days its been getting real squirrely on the road, especially on the highway. Very nerve racking to drive.

I'm thinking front bearings? :-k any thoughts?

I'm so mad cuz I just spent all this money on ome/billstein shocks, struts, springs, etc (haven't even installed yet) and now this. .

rjkj2005

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wheel bearings

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Given the front tires are worn funny, you could rotate the tires and see if any sounds follow them to the rear. Do you rotate often?

That said I'd lean toward the bearing too.

RioT_StartR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shop confirmed bad bearings plus shotty suspension (I already have ome/billstein springs, shocks, struts, just have to install) plus leaking rear right axle seal.... Gonna do the bearings on Thursday, hopefully get the suspension on there Saturday..... :Insane::sad72::yucky::angry94::icon_mad: $$$$$$ smh. Gotta get tires in the next couple weeks too.
Also have leaking oil pan, transfer case, and thermostat housing. ...kill me please...

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Relax, Just take it one problem at a time. I had lots to do when I bought my libby and I was over whelmed as well, Just remember take your time and do it rite the first time. We can help you with pointers to help you do it rite.

RioT_StartR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm willing to do hubs, axle seal, and thermostat housing myself. Hopefully get this suspension done with a little help. But the oil pan, I'm not messing with that. Unfortunately I was quoted at $900+ by 2 shops on it. :Frustrated::mad3:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How bad is the oil pan leaking? Is it rusted out?

I have the same question as prof - is the oil pan rusted? If so a replacement is not necessarily the only option but it is the best option. I've heard of others using a patch material on the rusted holes but that isn't my idea of a long-term fix.

If it isn't rust then I would venture the front main seal is known to leak - mine has developed a weep that runs along the ridge on either side of the oil pan and drips at the rear making it look like an oil pan leak. Look for a post from dude1116 on a shade tree way to replace the front main seal. He had a great idea and it's a repair I need to do before it gets too cold to crawl on the garage floor.

Give us some details and we'll walk through ways to get your Libby the way you want it :waytogo:

Bob

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Front bearings are very easy to swap out, so you'll have no issues with them, OR shouldn't have

RioT_StartR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's definitely badly rusted and the leak looks really bad. And although it's leaving oil blotches on my driveway, I'm not actually losing that much oil. After about 5 months since first noticing the leak, and frequent checks, I've only just got to where I'm right at the bottom of the hash marks..

Patch it? I imagine I'd have to drain it and scrape the rust off. What is this patch ?

RioT_StartR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Front bearings are very easy to swap out, so you'll have no issues with them, OR shouldn't have

Yeah, I'm doing them Thursday, hopefully everything will go fine. My only concern is breaking a bolt or something. She's a rusty girl.

RioT_StartR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same question as prof - is the oil pan rusted? If so a replacement is not necessarily the only option but it is the best option. I've heard of others using a patch material on the rusted holes but that isn't my idea of a long-term fix.

If it isn't rust then I would venture the front main seal is known to leak - mine has developed a weep that runs along the ridge on either side of the oil pan and drips at the rear making it look like an oil pan leak. Look for a post from dude1160 on a shade tree way to replace the front main seal. He had a great idea and it's a repair I need to do before it gets too cold to crawl on the garage floor.

Give us some details and we'll walk through ways to get your Libby the way you want it :waytogo:

Bob

Hopefully you guys can take a peek at it yourselves this weekend. :gr_grin:

RioT_StartR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welp, got 'em changed out. Only ran into one snag. Drivers side axle nut didn't want to come off for nothing!:favorites68: a big ass breaker bar with a big pipe on the end and still took over an hour to get off. Threads on the axle looked ok. Threads on the nut were f##ked. Bought a new axle nut from dealership ($20)... took a bit bit of effort to get it on (2 turns on, 1 turn off.. ) but with a littlr effort, got it on and torqued. Buttoned it all up, back to normal.

The worst part is that my jeep doesn't fit in the garage so I just nosed it in there enough to get a tad of shelter from all the rain... but not much. .

Ooohh well. They're done. Just gotta get suspension done, so I can get new tires before snow (they're very bad) and reclaim the corner of my dining room :happy107:

Latest posts

Members online