Backspacing difference

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Clint in KY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What we are telling you is the truth and nothing but the truth
I absolutely believe this - if I didn't I wouldn't have asked here. I believe you are right, I just want to understand it.

I am just missing what part of the tire will rub on what part of the body.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can see in the first picture the wheel and tire have enough room to turn
You must be registered for see images attach

NOW with just a 1 inch wide yard stick held up to show backspacing of 4 inches instead of 5 you can see that it would hit before you could fully turn
You must be registered for see images attach

Tom - I BELIEVE your representation here isn't entirely accurate. Putting an inch extra at the edge of the tire isn't representing what adding backspacing is doing.

You're obviously correct in where it hits. But it's the line of travel that the edge of the tire takes that moves OUT, thus causing a problem. I believe what you are picturing is if you were to move the the axle back an inch (say, in a solid axle).

I could be wrong, though!

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I absolutely believe this - if I didn't I wouldn't have asked here. I believe you are right, I just want to understand it.

I am just missing what part of the tire will rub on what part of the body.

Pinch weld (pictured in Tom's picture) and front inner fender liner like what I pictured. (did you see my post??)

Clint in KY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just went out and started the Liberty in the garage, turned the wheels lock to lock and looked at the clearance between the outer edge of the front of the tire and the front of the wheel arch and see where there might be a clearance issue. The picture that Tom posted shows what appears to be less clearance than I have but angles can be deceiving.

All in all I still think I will find some stock wheels and have them powder painted.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Tom - I BELIEVE your representation here isn't entirely accurate. Putting an inch extra at the edge of the tire isn't representing what adding backspacing is doing.

You're obviously correct in where it hits. But it's the line of travel that the edge of the tire takes that moves OUT, thus causing a problem. I believe what you are picturing is if you were to move the the axle back an inch (say, in a solid axle).

I could be wrong, though!

You are wrong
Its where the tire would hit if you ran a 4 inch backspaced wheel
has nothing at all to do with SFA

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are wrong

I said I might be wrong.

Its where the tire would hit if you ran a 4 inch backspaced wheel

I agreed to that. It also might hit in the front (like mine)

has nothing at all to do with SFA

I said nothing about a solid FRONT axle. I believe what you represented is what i have attached. I'm just bad at explaining relocation of an axle.

Also not trying to be a jerk. I like discussing this. I have a hard time visualizing this kind of stuff and it's challenging.

Attachments

• Wheels3.jpg
    Wheels3.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@OP - if you want to picture your Jeep with 1 inch less backspacing, place 1 inch worth of washers on the lug studs. Then, put the wheel on, and turn the wheel and see how it goes.

Just please, for the love of God, do NOT drive it like that.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here. I edited my first post to include the pinch weld and a rough estimation of the line of travel of the edge of the tire. Imagine the semi circle pictured is the path that the edge of the tire takes as you turn left and right.

Again, I know this picture is VERY rough, but see how the narrow part of the semi circle is in line with the pinch? While the wider part of the semi circle comes in contact with the pinch weld in the right picture?

This concept applies to both the front fender liner and the back pinch weld. This is the way I see backspacing.

Attachments

• Wheels.jpg
    Wheels.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 14

Clint in KY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I did was googled Jeep Liberty with Crager Soft 8s and came up with

This post <= click here

Look at the 4th and 5th picture down and the reduced clearance is evident.

As I said I will get a set of stock steels and have them powder coated.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here. I edited my first post to include the pinch weld and a rough estimation of the line of travel of the edge of the tire. Imagine the semi circle pictured is the path that the edge of the tire takes as you turn left and right.

Again, I know this picture is VERY rough, but see how the narrow part of the semi circle is in line with the pinch? While the wider part of the semi circle comes in contact with the pinch weld in the right picture?

This concept applies to both the front fender liner and the back pinch weld. This is the way I see backspacing.

That picture does a good job showing where the wider arc creates the problem. :waytogo:

Bob

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
By the way what are you going to do with those chrome wheels you have now Clint?
They wouldn't look bad painted with the pearlized paint that's out now,
Saw a JK that previous owners had chrome wheels and they painted them looked really good
Darker gray, metallic in the paint

Clint in KY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may see if they fit my boat trailer. I think I have enough clearance for the 16s. The bolt pattern is correct, I just have to see if the backspacing interferes with the frame or springs.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I may see if they fit my boat trailer. I think I have enough clearance for the 16s. The bolt pattern is correct, I just have to see if the backspacing interferes with the frame or springs.

Too bad you don't have all 5 , I think with the right color on them (dark gray plastidip with the metallic ) they'd look pretty good on yours ( or my dark green one ).:gr_grin:
On one of my trailers I'm running 16s but had to go to a 4 inch backspaced wheel ( running 265-70-16s )