AZ Turkey Run

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Signcutter21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UPDATED on LOST with all the info.

sorry it's taken so long. been busy as a bee.

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bad news... we won't be able to make this run.

Beth just found out a couple of hours ago she will be having surgery Thanksgiving week. We don't know the exact date yet. The doctor's office has to get authorization from the insurance company and then set a date with the hospital.

You guys have fun.... sad2.gif

Last edited:

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What, no trip report or pictures on this board???

Signcutter21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
here ya go AJ.

Trip Report:
Overall a very good run (I thought). Wish I could say the same for the weather. Freek cold front came in the night before and gave us rain and snow on some points throughout the trails. Made it a bit slick in a few spots and got the jeeps nice and dirty (like they should be). After meeting up for breakfeast, we headed out and while making a last minute gas and food stop, the power at the gas station kept going on and off. Got on the trail and quickly made a stop for the requisite group photo.
You must be registered for see images attach

Pictured are Signcutter21, O8K, Pablo and OlHockeyVB along the International Boundary Fence near Bisbee, Arizona.

The trail took us up through old mining roads and that is where the rain/ sleet started turning into light snow flurries. Unfortunatley I couldn't capture any of the snow flakes to make a snowball. :( We continued through old mining roads and then got back on the highway to head down to Douglas.

A quick town tour of the Port and town, then it was back on the trail again.

We headed down the border road again. Within five minutes of driving, we got a view of an illegal alien attempting to make it into the United States. He was just jumping over the fence when we came driving down the road. With his eyes and big as saucers, he just stood there, thinking he was caught. Then the look of confusion as he reliezed that we weren't the Border Patrol. He stood there and watched us continue on our way.

As we continued east, we were treated to some steep rocky climbs and even steeper desending muddy hills. With a bit of slipping around and careful navigation we safely made it down the hills.

We turned north of the line and continued on through the Rocker M Ranch (with the landowners approval). We looped back towards town through the ranch's back roads where we were treated with more Caleche clay roads to slid a bit on and some rocky steps to navigate down.

As we started to head back in to town, we made one last side trip to climb "D" Hill. Climbing the 1/4 mile plus road took a bit of proper wheel placement as it is a torn up granite road to the top. When at the top, the view of Douglas and its sister city Aqua Prieta is incredible.

After arriving back in Douglas we stopped and ate dinner at one of the best "real" mexican places Ive been to. After getting our fill, we returned to my house and took stock of supplies for the evenings entertainment and relax before heading off to our next adventure of the evening.

We left home and headed to downtown Douglas were we watched the holiday christmas parade. After a stop at the local coffee shop for tea and coffee, we were treated to a great color guard, school marching bands, the Shriner's cars, various local group's floats, and O8K's favorite, the WalMart semi. (Don't know about other small towns, but to see a shiny wally world semi with spanking new side adverstisements is a"tradition")

Upon returning home, we opened up the liquer cabinet. Spiked egg nog was made to go with the snacks in preperation for the encore treat of the day. As if a great day of wheeling wasn't enough, to be followed by a small town parade to put us in the holiday spirits; we finished the evening off with dualing battles of Guitar Hero 1, 2 and 3, provided by Ol Hockey.

Thanks to those who came down. We had a great day all-round. Met two new members and hung out with old ones.
later, mike

- Unfortunatley no pics of the GH battles but Vern and Katelynn tore it up till teh wee hours of the morning.

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the pics and trail report. Wish we could have made it.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh sure, the time I don't go it rains. :(

Great pics though and it looks like you all had a good time.

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh sure, the time I don't go it rains. :(

Great pics though and it looks like you all had a good time.
Pick a trail for this weekend, it's supposed to be the first heavy rain of the winter season....

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pick a trail for this weekend, it's supposed to be the first heavy rain of the winter season....

Doode! I'd be in for that one, be nice to see yall too... on another note... First i catch wind of there being snow on 4 peaks i was gonna head up there and romp in it. still havent gotten the libby in the snow to the point where her paws had to walk on it =D

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doode! I'd be in for that one, be nice to see yall too... on another note... First i catch wind of there being snow on 4 peaks i was gonna head up there and romp in it. still havent gotten the libby in the snow to the point where her paws had to walk on it =D
Sorry, we can't make it this weekend. Beth goes in for her surgery tomorrow morning. Then we'll have to wait and see what the pathology report outcome is to know if she'll need a second operation and treatment before we can make plans to hit the trails anytime soon.

Four peaks is fun in the snow, but a better run to consider when it snows is to take the road from I-17 to Bumble Bee and Crown King, through the Bradshaw Mountains. Then continue on the Senator Highway into Prescott (Wells #34).

If it snows more than a few inches, forget it. We had to turn around one winter, shortly after leaving Crown King, because the snow was too deep, even for the TJ.

If there's any intrest, we'll have to put Wells #34 on our winter to do list. It'll have to be a short notice run to catch it right after a snowfall.

After the run, there's a great little Italian restaurant in Prescott we like.... :)

Last edited:

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, we can't make it this weekend. Beth goes in for her surgery tomorrow morning. Then we'll have to wait and see what the pathology report outcome is to know if she'll need a second operation and treatment before we can make plans to hit the trails anytime soon.

Four peaks is fun in the snow, but a better run to consider when it snows is to take the road from I-17 to Bumble Bee and Crown King, through the Bradshaw Mountains. Then continue on the Senator Highway into Prescott (Wells #34).

If it snows more than a few inches, forget it. We had to turn around one winter, shortly after leaving Crown King, because the snow was too deep, even for the TJ.

If there's any intrest, we'll have to put Wells #34 on our winter to do list. It'll have to be a short notice run to catch it right after a snowfall.

After the run, there's a great little Italian restaurant in Prescott we like.... :)

consider it on the todo list... =D

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Sorry guys. This weekend is a no go for me. Finals are next week. :mad:

And best wishes to Beth with her surgery. Hopefully it all gets handled quickly so you can get back to life as normal.

indieaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, who's KJ is that with the LOST sticker and the "OLHOCKY" plate? Last night wife and I went to Sushi on Oracle and i saw you parked out front :)

I said to the wife "Hey, i recognize that KJ from some of the AZ run photos!"