AZ Turkey Run

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Signcutter21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was looking to put together a "Border Run" sometime in November. What does everybody think about having a run Thanksgiving weekend (either fri/sat)? I originally was going to try to make the LOST West Turkey Crawl, but figured staying closer to home. So I guess we can have our own Arizona Turkey Run. Can't do it the second or thrid weekend due to birthdays and a wedding.

The run will incompase old mining roads around Bisbee and/ or the border road around Douglas. Both areas I am thinking of are doable in stock vehicles, but skids would be helpful.

If there is enough interest I'll start looking at camping areas in the area. Heard of a great campgrounds in Old Bisbee.

later,
mike

*Originally posted over at LOST AZ section

rkeegstra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could do Saturday after Thanksgiving, but probably not Friday. I would also probably be solo.

Russ

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds fun, but if you cross the boarder, your on your own.... =D

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Saturday the 24th will work for us. Let us know when and where so we can make some motel reservations.

You can't ask for better place than an AZ Turkey Run to have left over turkey/stuffing sandwhiches, on rye with swiss cheese and plenty of mayo....

(partysmile)​

Last edited:

Signcutter21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
O8K, No trips south here for me. If people are interested, I can provide good info and maybe a guide, but for me...I'll remain in El Norte. lol

Signcutter21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Todd, yeah that's the place I was gonna post after I got the info this week. thanks.

Haven't been bar hopping in Old Bisbee in years. We should be able to do it then. Katelynn's bday is that weekend too, I'm sure she'd like to check it out.

mike

Signcutter21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did some scouting today. Found out one of the roads in Bisbee area has been graded pretty good by a mining company that bought some of the rights. Still found enough to occupy some time out there. In the Douglas area, OH MY, you guys are going to love the pucker factor in a few spots. The monsoons did a number on the border road, which means even more fun.

AJ, in Douglas Motel 6 (ewe) or the historic Hotel Gadsden http://www.hotelgadsden.com/hotel.html

in Bisbee, there are a ton B&Bs as well as the Copper Queen Hotel http://www.copperqueen.com/

If there is enough interest I'll head up to Bisbee and see about tours of the Copper/ Lavender pit on Friday or Sunday. Never been either but everybody says it is very neat. Lots of scenic and artsy stuff to see in Old Bisbee.

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mike... as soon as you post the location of the trails, we'll make reservations. If they're near Bisbee, there is a B&B we usally go to that Beth likes.

Thanks for taking the time to post some motels....

minimedic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was this still going on? There's a slight possibility that I might be able to make it... :rolleyes:
idea.gif But if others are getting together closer to home, that would work better, since I have to go to work the following day.

Signcutter21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, still planning on running it. Got 4-5 people saying they're heading down. Plan is to hit a couple hour trail around the Bisbee area first in the morning(maybe after breakfast at the Breakfast Club) then head down to the border road in Douglas. Best camping is in Bisbee at The Shady Dell.

more info later.

mike

minimedic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, but gonna see if some want to do something closer to home. I just don't have enough time to do that run with y'all. :eek:

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the Douglas area, OH MY, you guys are going to love the pucker factor in a few spots. The monsoons did a number on the border road, which means even more fun.

AJ, in Douglas Motel 6 (ewe) or the historic Hotel Gadsden http://www.hotelgadsden.com/hotel.html

in Bisbee, there are a ton B&Bs as well as the Copper Queen Hotel http://www.copperqueen.com/
Mike... 'Pucker Factor' - stock KJ + full skids = doable???????????

Yeah, we know all about the Motel Sick. Depending where the meeting place is, there's a B&B Beth likes that we'll stay in at Bisbee, otherwise I guess we'll try the Gadsden.

We're not interested in the mine tour, unless the majority wants to go.

Keep us posted when you come up with the meeting place so we can make reservation.

Thanks,
AJ

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont understand the minus sign in the equation :D
Engineers... :rolleyes: ;) :rolleyes:

Try this: 'Pucker Factor'... stock KJ + full skids = doable??????????? :D

Last edited:

Signcutter21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AJ,
I'll take another run in it this weekend with my KJ and check it again, but I dont see why shouldn't be able to make it. Let's plan on meeting in Bisbee, (post a time at a later date) Hit the trails in Bisbee then jaunt down to Douglas for the rest. It's only a 25 minute drive back to Bisbee. Your b&B place would work for you, that's cool. I've got about 5 or so hours of trail planned out. with maybe another 1.5 hrs to check on.

Later,
mike

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mike... sounds good meeting in Bisbee and then doing some trails around Douglas.

We just made our reservations for the B&B Beth likes, the Calument & Arizona Guest House.

You have our vote for meeting at the Bisbee Breakfast Club. It looks like a great place to meet for breakfast and then hit the trails from there.

Have you started a list of who is planning to attend?

See ya next month,
AJ and Beth

Last edited:

Signcutter21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mmmmmm BBC, I love me some potato pancakes and bacon. There is also a BK near where we will meet up as well as gas station over on 92. more info to come...

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this trip still on? Who all is planning on going???