auto trans problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

seriouse

Reaction score
Hello

Recently i purchased a 2002 Liberty V-6 it has 100,000 miles in the odometer. The previous owner told me that the vehicle was parked for the past 6 months due to trans problems since he sold it to me real cheap and the body and interior was inmaculate i bough it and towed it to my place where i removed the transmision and have it remanufactured. Everything inside the transmission is new ecept the converter which was flushed, cleaned and tested. The truck ran great for 4 days and now the trans wont go into any gear and i have the following codes PO 876, PO 846, PO731, PO 841 all of them are trans related codes. my question is does anyone have had this kind of problems with this vehicles? Is there any secret to these trans? The dealer wants $100 just to scan the truckand i do not trust them. Any info or help is greatly apreciated. Thanks in advance.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, Ive not read about people having to many problems out of the ******. The first time it went bad, the previous owner probably didnt maintain it like he should have. You have the heavy duty ****** too. Its the same ****** that is used behind the hemi's.

Ive always heard re-manufactured trannys are no good. :-s

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Code P0731=gear ratio error in first,P0841=LR pressure switch sense circuit,P0846=2/4 pressure switch sense circuit,and P0876=Trans fluid press sensor/switch D CKT range/performance.Sounds like you got a crappy rebuild done,take it back to the rebuilder and have him fix it(hope it has a warranty),the computer may need to have the relearn the new ****** also.A good rebuild for a 45rfe is not cheap,last estimate I found was $2600.00 because alot of sensors need to be changed.Sounds like the rebuilder screwed you on a good overhaul.

myjeepwalks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
No, Ive not read about people having to many problems out of the ******. The first time it went bad, the previous owner probably didnt maintain it like he should have. You have the heavy duty ****** too. Its the same ****** that is used behind the hemi's.

Ive always heard re-manufactured trannys are no good. :-s

Reman trannys aren't too bad they usually come with a pretty good parts warranty (labor not included). They cost about the same as an overhaul maybe a little more but the warranty is better. Overhauls suck for example from a cottman transmission it seems like it takes them 4 times to fix it. A reman usually is about $1000 cheaper than a brand new one but same warranty. Once mine takes a dump i'll put a used one in or a reman.

Also if the prev trans took a dump and put metal all through the trans most likely the cooler was contaminated also. That needs to be replaced or flushed out pretty good if not it will destroy the new trans that was just put in.

2003KJ

Reaction score
I would have tried to drive the Jeep before having the ****** rebuilt, just to get an idea for what exactly it was doing other than just "having problems"

The fact that you're showing that many codes and what appears to be another dead ******, only 4 days after getting it back, i'd take it back to the place you had the work done and demand they do it again, and do it again CORRECTLY, at no cost to you.

Warranty or not, 4 days is NOT acceptable by any means.

(welcome) to the site by the way!

seriouse

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I spoke with the people that fixed the ****** and they told me that if it was the ****** they would fix it again at no charge but they want me to take the truck to them this time because they think that the problem is in the electrical system of the transmission not inside. So i'll let you know how it goes. Again Thanks.

Ernie J.
2002 Jeep Liberty

Latest posts

Members online