Auto to Manual Transmission swap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chris03kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi All, I was wondering if anyone has ever done a manual transmission swap? I have an automatic right now and its going bad so I wanted to look into swapping it to the 5spd manual trans. What would I have to do? and is it even possible?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Lots of work you'd basically need to have a manual KJ sitting right there to pull all of the parts off of. adding pedals, computer issues , wouldn't be a 30 minute swap for sure. Then if you ever wanted to sell it more problems since the VIN shows automatic

ftaa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lots of work you'd basically need to have a manual KJ sitting right there to pull all of the parts off of. adding pedals, computer issues , wouldn't be a 30 minute swap for sure. Then if you ever wanted to sell it more problems since the VIN shows automatic

you can do it but you need to swap pcm and it HAS to be from same year. or at leaste what i am told. the guy that did it here still doent have it driving ...

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Find a working auto ****** to replace the one going bad, put the Jeep up for sale and find a manual KJ to buy...if you want to offroad it, you'd be happier sticking with the slushbox...(you can't believe how hard it is for a die-hard manual transmission fanatic to say that but it's the truth)

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Find a working auto ****** to replace the one going bad, put the Jeep up for sale and find a manual KJ to buy...if you want to offroad it, you'd be happier sticking with the slushbox...(you can't believe how hard it is for a die-hard manual transmission fanatic to say that but it's the truth)
Not terribly hard to offroad with a manual. Just gotta really know what you are doing and have a plan for every rock