Are wheel adapters safe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dlicata

Reaction score
I'm looking to stance the KJ a bit better and eliminate some wheel rub by putting 1.5" adapters on the wheels, because I like the renegade wheels I have. How should these be aligned- hubcentric or lug centric, and while I know deep dish wheels are the best solution is this a viable option? Any good brands?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
The best option is having new rims with proper back spacing.
That being said, I have been using spidertrax wheel spacers for years now, no issues.
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm looking to stance the KJ a bit better and eliminate some wheel rub by putting 1.5" adapters on the wheels, because I like the renegade wheels I have. How should these be aligned- hubcentric or lug centric, and while I know deep dish wheels are the best solution is this a viable option? Any good brands?
Are you lifted ??
If not you are going to have more rubbing when turning in the front
If lifted you can, I ran a set for 700 miles, hated them removed and bought wheels
and no cheapies if you buy them, spend the money on good ones like spidertrax

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nearly at 100,000km on wheel spacers now. (2" lift and 245/75R16s went on at the same time; along with pinch weld mod.) If you buy adapters instead, you can run a wide selection of JK wheels (I do this for the winter set).

Our Jeeps are lug-centric due to the tapered-seat lugnuts they use.

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've ran basic 8mm spacers using extended shank lugs and had no issues before, I have also ran 5mm basics without any changes and no issues at all.

kejobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I've seen/heard is that with spacers you want hub centric. NOT lug centric. Otherwise had them on the Compass the wife had without issue.

mrlavalamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While new rims with correct backspacing is the IDEAL solution, quality adapters are just as good. BEWARE the distinction between adapters and spacers. Spacers like these are illegal in many places: BAD SPACERS These spacers are bad because of issues with limiting thread engagement and causing studs/lugs to fail and wheels to come flying off at freeway speeds, frequently killing people.

Running a set of spidertrax adapters myself. I love them, and really like the added width (when I first added them after lift the jeep felt MUCH more stable on the street, not so much like it was tottering around on stilts anymore).

I combined them with my lift to run the wheel size I am.

Without the adapters my tires would rub a lot more than they currently do (just a tiny bit on the corners now).

Mine came with a small tube threadlocker, and the only other major concern is making sure you have a torque wrench to check and re-check all your lugnuts.

Following mfr recommendations, I pulled my tires off after the first couple hundred miles and checked torque on the adapters, then reinstall tires, drive a couple hundred more miles, and check your lug nuts torque again. It sounds like a bigger pain than it is, after the first check on the adapters, I just threw my torque wrench in the jeep and drove around with it in there for a few days and a post it on my dash reminding me of the mileage I needed to check at.

As long as you keep an eye on things and dont simply throw them on and forget about them, you should be fine.

boboborino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've ran Spidertrax spacers, and they are ALMOST as good, and are a completely acceptable alternative to correct width/ backspaced wheels, providing you follow all the proper install and maintenance of the spacers and as described in this thread.

Bert

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, if/when properly installed and torqued, use red loctite. Buy new not used. And Buy name brand. If you follow those, no problems. Been running them on my KJ for years.

(Fyi spidertrax has a blem section on their website for cheaper new parts.)

Latest posts

Members online