Are mud tires bigger?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gont

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would BFG MudTerrain tires be bigger than say BFG AT KO's if they are both the same size (235/70) ?

I ask because I dont want any rubbing on the jeep, and I figured the mud terrain's might be bigger as they have deeper tread...anyone have any rubbing with similar mud tires in that size on a non-lifted KJ?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would BFG MudTerrain tires be bigger than say BFG AT KO's if they are both the same size (235/70) ?

I ask because I dont want any rubbing on the jeep, and I figured the mud terrain's might be bigger as they have deeper tread...anyone have any rubbing with similar mud tires in that size on a non-lifted KJ?
All tires are slightly different overall size even thought they are stated to be the same size,if that makes any sense.Being you are talking about 2 BFG tires I would say they should be the same or within a milimeter or two of being the same,not nearly enough to cause any rubbing on a stock KJ in the 235/70 size.

Gont

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I figured I might as well put this in here.

Are the only mud tires that come in 235/70/16 the BFG Mud Terrain TA KM?

If there are others, what are a few I should look at?

Just that when I search for them on tirerack and the like they are the only ones that come up. Gotta be more.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
go up to a 245 70X16 that may give you some more choices and also they will work better than the 235s, no lift needed

Gont

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will I need to trim any plastic or anything to fit 245's?

I dont want to cut anything for new tires, I'd rather just use 235's if I would have to.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will I need to trim any plastic or anything to fit 245's?

I dont want to cut anything for new tires, I'd rather just use 235's if I would have to.
The 245/70s are only about 1/2" larger in diameter than the 235/70s so they should work fine. I ran 235/70s before my lift and had plenty of room around the tire, can't see the additional 1/2" causing problems.

Gont

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah, good to hear. I assume people are running 245/70/16's on there KJ's that are not lifted now?

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah, good to hear. I assume people are running 245/70/16's on there KJ's that are not lifted now?

I ran 245/70/16's while stock. I couldn't stand the tires I got with the Jeep so they went bye bye within 2 months. I ran Bridgestone Revo's 245/70/16 all around. No problems at stock height.

Gont

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so no rubbing at all? Didnt have to trim or bang in the weld?

I ask because the wife wont let me do anything like that to the Jeep so I dont wanna waste a bunch of money on tires I cant even use...

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran 245 70 s with no lift and only rubbed the sway bar a bit under flex at full turn, i didnt even notice for a long time it did no dmg only polished the sway in a small spot... every libby is a bit different when it comes to tire position within the tire well (LOL manufacturing tolerances). worst case u may have a teeee neeee bit of sway bar rub or somthing, but prolly nothing....but promise ur wife wont notice a thing =D hehehe

to add to the orange avengers statement, the actual dia of the tire can also vary based on the rim width, rubi rims will make the same tire a diff dia than stock 16s from a libby. i was one told the dia was measured to the end of the tire minus the tread, not sure if its true tho. but if true, ten the more thick the tread, the bigger the tire

Gont

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats what I was wonder, if the tread is thicker (like on a mud tire) that might make it bigger...but I guess not:)

Members online