Anyway, the KJ lives to fight another day - or does it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
somewhere between London & Zunny Deb'n (England)
So the RH axleshaft did need replacing (because it had started clicking when turning - & there was definitely play in the CVJ) but it's not cured the knocking which prompted me to do the job.

Best way I can describe it is like a really bad u-joint, but only when being driven (i.e. not coasting) forwards in a straight line.

Beginning to fear the worst, anyone got any ideas?

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will get quite a ruckus if the cv on the shaft from the transfer case to the front punkin is bad.

The rear one is usually at fault.

Your first move would crawl under about the drivers door and look straight up. The shaft is right there. If the rear boot is gone, that is a good clue to the joint being bad as well.

To tell for sure, you'd need to drop that shaft out. The jeep will still move without it, and without damage, unless you pull in 4wd.

With shaft out, if your vibration is gone, that is the fix.

Joints are available at driveshaftparts.com

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
So the RH axleshaft did need replacing (because it had started clicking when turning - & there was definitely play in the CVJ) but it's not cured the knocking which prompted me to do the job.

Best way I can describe it is like a really bad u-joint, but only when being driven (i.e. not coasting) forwards in a straight line.

Beginning to fear the worst, anyone got any ideas?
If you replaced the CV on the right side did you also replace the intermediate shaft ?
If not,.................

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will get quite a ruckus if the cv on the shaft from the transfer case to the front punkin is bad.

The rear one is usually at fault.

Your first move would crawl under about the drivers door and look straight up. The shaft is right there. If the rear boot is gone, that is a good clue to the joint being bad as well.

To tell for sure, you'd need to drop that shaft out. The jeep will still move without it, and without damage, unless you pull in 4wd.

With shaft out, if your vibration is gone, that is the fix.

Joints are available at driveshaftparts.com

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did think of that afterwards & was going to have a look today anyway but, in my experience these things don't usually suddenly fail, are noisy all the time, it's speed related & not dependent on direction of travel - oh, & there's no vibration!

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did think of that afterwards & was going to have a look today anyway but, in my experience these things don't usually suddenly fail, are noisy all the time, it's speed related & not dependent on direction of travel - oh, & there's no vibration!
My bad! I jumped to the conclusion that it would vibrate, as that is what my 04 did to my son one night.

The back joint lost a few balls, and allowed that shaft to have eccentric travel which made for a less than optimal experience for a new driver. Thankful it happened in town, as we were going to run it to the beach that summer.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I replaced the whole axle shaft, & the play I could feels in the old one isn't there now.
There is a difference, two parts the " whole axle shaft " as you call it , and the intermediate shaft, both need replaced as both have splines that wear
If you do not then new part will wear out faster running against old part
Note I and most here call : the whole axle shaft : a CV

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Then you've lost me completely; I understood you could separate the shaft (indeed you need to to replace boots) & replace just the joint. As the shaft appears connect the diff to the hub, where/what is this intermediate shaft I know you've mentioned several times? Because I while I thought I knew what you meant, I obviously don't. As for language/choice of words, this is partly an English/American thing & partly me assuming that the set-up (being used to SFA 4x4's) would be like that on a FWD vehicle, where there's a single shaft (i.e. on each side) which contains a CVJ.

Anyway, the situation is now 1,000 times worse, because, despite being in reverse & 4Lo, with the parking brake on, it rolled off the jack & cracked the axle tube. My immediate reaction was to arrange to have it hauled away (although even that is not straightforward) but while I was sorting out that disaster & cleaning up the mess - ironically, I'd just topped off the diff - I had plenty of time to to look at what was involved & now I know what's involved in removing those shafts, it doesn't look to be more difficult than, say, replacing the TC on an XJ - or am I missing something/kidding myself? My main reservation was doing all that & then still having the knocking/clonking to contend with but now this intermediate shaft business is yet another dimension (for me). In some ways, the challenge quite appeals - but realistically, perhaps I ought to stick to old XJ's (& Citroens, even Jaguars), all of which seem so much simpler.

JRB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RH side is passenger's, you mentioned that axle got replaced.

Since the front diff is set to the drivers side, there's a shaft that entends the passenger side to meet up to the differential housing, that's what people are referring to the intermediate shaft.

You must be registered for see images attach

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, that's helpful because I thought it was just a longer shaft (as it is on everything else I've removed/changed them on AND as all the pictures I've seen show.)

So, how do you get the intermediate shaft out? As, if I have understand you (& the diagram) correctly, once you withdrawn the hub/CVJ's the intermediate shaft is still engaged in the diff splines.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It usually comes out with the cv axle. If it doesn't, I've used a 1/4 inch nylon rope tied a "timber hitch" onto the exposed end and gave a quick firm tug and it came right out.

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It usually comes out with the cv axle. . . .
i.e. giving the impression of being the single, longer shaft I believed it to be. That's how mine came out - & that's how the replacement one came out the packing & was installed. That's what I meant by the whole shaft so, without knowing it I had replaced the intermediate shaft - so we can take that out of the equation. In any event, worn splines would cause the clonking I was experiencing.

Between posts I'd found a diff at a good price, from a reputable source, & made an offer. Just received a counter offer which am minded to accept but thought I'd check in before I commit myself. So, here goes nothing . . .

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Be sure that the gear ratio is the same as yours. I believe the gear ratio is different in automatic versus manual transmission jeeps, and is also different between four-cylinder and six-cylinder jeeps.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never heard of one coming as a complete unit, cv axle and intermediate shaft? That's a new one for me.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I've never heard of one coming as a complete unit, cv axle and intermediate shaft? That's a new one for me.
Have removed at least 8-10 that both intermediate and CV both came out together
Of course they were in together , splines get worn so they are stuck

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be sure that the gear ratio is the same as yours. I believe the gear ratio is different in automatic versus manual transmission jeeps, and is also different between four-cylinder and six-cylinder jeeps.
Yes, that's my understanding too. Funny enough I very recently saw a reference to the 3 ratios & recognised the one given in the ad as being "mine". Curiously most of the front diffs I saw for sale were for 2.4 diesels but this not only quoted the ratio but specified it was for a V6 auto, which is what I have. Of course, you weren't to know that, so I'm grateful for your words of caution.

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I couldn't retrieve the picture of the one I bought because was too long ago but here is the photo from a similar ad, & what appears to be the same seller's ad for the other side.*
New ones are similarly described as being handed, perhaps a throw back to SFA shafts or, more likely over here, an assumption they were like FWD shafts.

Interestingly enough, while trawling for these pictures I did find one that showed the RH shaft in it's 3 constituent parts; shame I'd never seen one like that before, it would have helped my understanding.

* well I've tried to, but given up the unequal struggle.

Last edited:

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the other hand, this could be an opportunity to install a front diff with 4.10 gearing, and change your rear gears to match. I am running 31” tires on mine with my lift, and would love the deeper gearing to get my power and mpg back. If you might ever install a lift on the Jeep, this could be something to consider.

Latest posts

Members online