HOW TO: fix the KJ fuel burp plague!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

badair

Reaction score
For my 2009 Liberty (KK), process is different. I'd say easier.

So on the KK, the inlet to the fuel tank is mostly aluminum line. There is a short length of fuel hose from the aluminum line which connects to the fuel tank. I replaced the original hose with the Genuine GM 15131046 Fuel Tank Filler Hose from amazon.

Here's the process I followed:

I hit each end of the hose w sea foam's deep creep and let it sit for about 5 minutes. I removed the old hose. Not alot of room to move here and the spare tire was in the way a bit too. Removing the old hose took the most amount of time. I considered just cutting the old hose off, but decided to keep it intact in case i need it later. It probably took me 20 minutes to work the hose out.

I cut the new hose to be same length as original mine was 7". The section I cut off was JUST on the end WITHOUT the hose clamp. I am still concerned that I don't have enough length of hose from the end of the hose to the valve. I considered pushing the valve further up in the new hose. I decided to just leave the valve in the factory location.

There was enough length of hose to allow me to reclamp on to the aluminum line. However, I still need to test if there is enough room for the valve to move fully. I guess I'll find out on next fill up.

When I installed the new hose I rotated the hose so the notch in the new hose was on TOP of the fuel tank nipple. You can see the notch in the new hose in the pic with both hoses side by side. I added the red arrow to help identify the notch.

I did not have to remove any parts to do the swap. However, I probably should have removed the spare tire to give myself a little more room.

I DID remove 1 bolt to allow the aluminum line to move.

NOTE the GM hose has a notch that needs to be located at the TOP of the fuel tank nipple.

I'll update here on the forum if there are any problems with fueling up or any other issues by just using the GM hose.

Attachments

• old-hose-installed.jpg
    old-hose-installed.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 7
  • new-hose-installed.jpg
    new-hose-installed.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 7
  • old-and-new-hose-beside-each-other.jpg
    old-and-new-hose-beside-each-other.jpg
    313.6 KB · Views: 7

badair

Reaction score
For my 2009 Liberty (KK), process is different. I'd say easier.

So on the KK, the inlet to the fuel tank is mostly aluminum line. There is a short length of fuel hose from the aluminum line which connects to the fuel tank. I replaced the original hose with the Genuine GM 15131046 Fuel Tank Filler Hose from amazon.

Here's the process I followed:

I hit each end of the hose w sea foam's deep creep and let it sit for about 5 minutes. I removed the old hose. Not alot of room to move here and the spare tire was in the way a bit too. Removing the old hose took the most amount of time. I considered just cutting the old hose off, but decided to keep it intact in case i need it later. It probably took me 20 minutes to work the hose out.

I cut the new hose to be same length as original mine was 7". The section I cut off was JUST on the end WITHOUT the hose clamp. I am still concerned that I don't have enough length of hose from the end of the hose to the valve. I considered pushing the valve further up in the new hose. I decided to just leave the valve in the factory location.

There was enough length of hose to allow me to reclamp on to the aluminum line. However, I still need to test if there is enough room for the valve to move fully. I guess I'll find out on next fill up.

When I installed the new hose I rotated the hose so the notch in the new hose was on TOP of the fuel tank nipple. You can see the notch in the new hose in the pic with both hoses side by side. I added the red arrow to help identify the notch.

I did not have to remove any parts to do the swap. However, I probably should have removed the spare tire to give myself a little more room.

I DID remove 1 bolt to allow the aluminum line to move.

NOTE the GM hose has a notch that needs to be located at the TOP of the fuel tank nipple.

I'll update here on the forum if there are any problems with fueling up or any other issues by just using the GM hose.
OK all, I filled up the tank yesterday, no flow issues with the gas pump nozzle on high. And nozzle did turn off as normal

badair

Reaction score
@ ol-flattop, so locations increase the amount of ethenol during some months. So this could also be another reason why some people have this occasionally.

I had more of this issue during the winter months.

Jeremy-WI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@ ol-flattop, so locations increase the amount of ethenol during some months. So this could also be another reason why some people have this occasionally.

I had more of this issue during the winter months.
And if the original problem of the part inside of the gas tank isn't removed, a problem filling at full pump volume might be an issue at some time in the future

badair

Reaction score
And if the original problem of the part inside of the gas tank isn't removed, a problem filling at full pump volume might be an issue at some time in the future
I don't see that the part inside the tank "could" be removed without modifying the tank. But yes, if the part in the tank fails/swells up then you'll have the gas burp problem.
If you do have the problem, then you follow either the KJ or KK method to resolve.
Cheers