Anyone rewire speakers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mmc757

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever rewire the speakers? I'm pretty sure thats where I'm headed.
Its an 05 limited with the premium sound system.
The drivers side speakers dont get a signal.
I have replaced the head unit, and checked the speakers by swapping them and have proven that the problem lies somewhere between the HU and speakers.
Any tips or tricks, or other advice about running new speaker wires?

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
probably the wires in the door jamb are broken, from bending so many times over the years. check there first.

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From my own experience, running/fixing wires through the door jamb is about impossible. I really can't see how you can run new ones (I've tried) and there is really limited space to fix them

Inside of the boot is a female and male pin. All of the door wires run through those pins. Those pins take up the whole space inside the boot. So, if you need to fix a wire, you also have to find a way to attach it to the correct pin.

I just recently replaced my HU and speakers in my '05 Limited w/Premium system as well.

How did you wire the new speakers? Did you remove the factory amps?

Last edited:

mmc757

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didnt replace the speakers, just swapped from side to side for troubleshooting, left the amps attached.

mmc757

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But,

I would check the amp first. Might not be getting power or just buggered!:pepper:

How? I dont know what voltages I should be seeing where. Since I already know the components themselves work, it is a problem somewhere between the components.

fasta76

Reaction score
If you can find clear fuel line or a stiff vacuum hose just push that into the boot until it comes out the other side. then slid speaker wire into it until it comes out hold the wire and pull out hose works great.

BjBnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
or cut the existing wires, attach the new wires to the existing wires and pull at the other end...kinda like fish tape.

theroofable

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From my own experience, running/fixing wires through the door jamb is about impossible. I really can't see how you can run new ones (I've tried) and there is really limited space to fix them

Inside of the boot is a female and male pin. All of the door wires run through those pins. Those pins take up the whole space inside the boot. So, if you need to fix a wire, you also have to find a way to attach it to the correct pin.

Not impossible. I have done it to run wires to my mirror lights. You can drill into the section of the plug where no wires are attached. A simple 1/4 inch hole right through the plug gives you enough room to run wires into the door.

mmc757

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Started this project yesterday...wasnt as hard as expected.
I ended up buying new speakers and some good wire.
Started with the D side door.
1. Pulled off plastic trim in footwell and along door edge
2. Pulled off the door panel
3. pulled off weather stripping in the work area
4. pulled out the boot around the door wiring from both the door side and the cab side
5. in the footwell, pulled out the boot that seals around the wire bundle as it enters the bulkhead heading toward the door. This part took a little bit to figure out, because there are two walls there, with a void space in between them.
6. Removed stock speaker, just left the wiring in the door
7. used a butt crimp to attach the new speaker wire to a stiff piece of bailing wire that I could fish through the tight holes.
8. Fished the wire through the door, through the door boot, around the pin style connector, through the two walls, into the cab. For the inner boot, I just poked a new hole in the rubber. It might tear in the future, but I dont think it will matter. Its high enough up the wall that it shouldnt really ever see any moisture or anything.
9. I just coiled the length of wire up and tucked it out of the way for right now, because I was running out of daylight, but it will be an easy matter to get it to the radio now that its in the footwell.
10. installed new speaker (6 1/2" pioneer's for the front)
11. Put everything back together.

I decided I will just lose the tweaters in the dash in this process. I considered getting an aftermarket amp to keep them, but in the end its not worth the investment. I think with the new HU and 4 new speakers I should have pretty good sound.

Next step will be to wire up the d side rear speaker...

mmc757

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did the D side rear today...It was actually incredibly easy.

Funny thing though...I now have both D side new speakers installed and wired up to the radio.
My original problem was that the D side speakers didnt work, but the P side ones did.
Now that I have brand new speakers installed on one side only, the D side works and the P side doesnt! I havent touched anything on the P side at all yet, so I'm very confused.
In the end, I dont really care why all that much, as I'm sure it will all be fine once I install the new P side speakers and wires...maybe tomorrow.

iamweasel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did the 6.5" pioneers fit fine in the front and rear? I heard you'd need an adapter because the oem speakers are 6. 75"
I'm about buy F&R splits and install an amp and sub I've had in a cupboard for a while. Hopefully i won't need an adapter...

mmc757

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm using Pioneers in the front and Infinitys in the rear, both 6 1/2".
Both require adapter rings.
The infinitys came with rings that work perfectly. Only problem was no fasteners to attach the speaker to the ring so I had to make a hardware store run for some nuts and bolts.
The Pioneers did not come with an adapter ring. I ended up just making what I needed out of some 8th inch plywood.

I recommend the infinitys.

iamweasel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up re. the adapters.
The shop I'm gonna buy the speakers from sells adapters for R160 ($20ish) a pair.

I'd like to get Infinities, but they're too pricey here in SA. My next choice was JBL or Alpine which I've used previously and liked, but I've found a cheaper brand which looks to be good quality. Google can't find any real info on. They're called Reference Audio.
The little bit of info I did find suggested they are/were a Canadian brand from the same group as Harman Kardon and JBL.
Anyone heard of them?

mmc757

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finished the project today. P side was a little easier than the D side, same basic steps though. I wasted some time trying to convince myself there was a better way to route through the sheetmetal, but ultimately poking through the grommet with the main bundle was the only practical option.