Anyone know how to replace the HVAC blower motor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jtalef

Reaction score
I think my HVAC blower motor is on it's way out. I hear the fan bearing (I think anyway) starting to give out. Has anyone ever replaced theirs? If so, any words of wisdom or a part number would be most helpful.

Trodo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to make sure, have you checked the blower resister behind the glove box.
This would be the first I've ever heard of a bearing going out on that, but if you can, get in there and apply synthetic oil to it, to see if that helps it. You could also have debris or otherwise stuck up in there.

Was your vehicle used?

jtalef

Reaction score
I bought it new but, I can't even find the blower motor to remove it. Does anyone know how to remove the blower motor?

Also, would a bad resistor cause the blower motor to make a noise at low speed? The noise is only present at level one.

Trodo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, I'm transcribing from the manual. The diagram was not helpful.

NOISE-
To verify that the blower is the source of the noise, unplug the blower motor wire harness connector and operate the HVAC system. If the noise goes away possbile causes include.
Foreign Material in the hvac housing.
Improper blower motor mounting
Improper blower wheel mounting
Blower moter faulty

The blower motor is located on the passenger side of the vehicle, under the dash.
Disconnect and isolate the battery neg
Unplug the blower motor wire harness
Release the locking tab that secures the blower motor and wheel assembly to the HVAC housing.
Rotate and title the blower motor unit as needed for clearance to remove the blower motor and wheel from the hvac housing.

NomadKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The blower motor is located on the passenger side of the vehicle under the instrument panel. The blower motor can be removed without having to remove the instrument panel or the HVAC housing.
(1) Disconnect and isolate the negative battery cable.
(2) Disconnect the wire harness connector from the blower motor
(3) Release the locking tab that secures the blower motor to the HVAC housing and rotate blower motor counterclockwise.
(4) Rotate and tilt the blower motor as needed for clearance to remove the blower motor and wheel from the HVAC housing.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trodo said:
Isn't that what I said? :-s

Haha, I was wondering the same thing.. It does have some different words in it though. 8-[

I cannot believe its that easy. Thats kinda odd DC would make something thats easy to fix! Has anyone ever heard of someone replacing a blend door on a 99-04 Grand? They seem to go bad alot and its over 1k to get them fixed. Youve got to take the entire dash out just to get to it.. :-s Silly DC...