Anyone interested in a new how-to

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if it's worth it to people to have a how-to on replacing the headlight holder. Or heck, maybe someone could point me to one.

I received my brand-spanking new headlight holder from the lovely and talented TPI Monte SS (pleasure doin' bidness with you) and I stepped onto my driveway, tools in hand, flinty eyed and ready to start a'replacin' thinkin' I'd be done in 1 hour-- 2 hours tops due to possible effects of alcohol. 3 hours later, I was putting everything back on the car, new headlight holder still sitting in driveway, me cussin' up a blue streak realizing this was a much, much bigger job than anticipicated.

I have a repair manual but strangely, it doesn't directly cover the headlight holder. After much staring at the front end of my vehicle, I realize that to replace the headlight holder, one must remove the front bumper. To remove the front bumper (how-to right here on KJ Country, thank you very much-- great tutorial) I realized I have to remove the fenders. To remove the fenders, I have to drill rivets. To drill out rivets assumes you have something to replace them with. Once I even get to the headlight holder, it's completely riddled with semi-permanent plastic one-way push pins, specialized plastic studs with tie-downs attached containing wiring harnesses, and special slide-ey-on-ey clippy thingies to hang the wiring harness connector etc. etc.

I can do this, but I need to analyze parts, have replacement rivets ready and either have alternatives for the other semi-permanent plastic studs. If anyone is interested in a how-to, I'll post one up and have pictures handy. If not, I'll replace and assume that no one else on the planet will ever do this in his or her driveway.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking at my FSM it doesn't seem that you would need to do all of that - the only item it says needs to be removed is the front grille, then you should be able to access the headlamp unit to remove it.

PM inbound.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking at my FSM it doesn't seem that you would need to do all of that - the only item it says needs to be removed is the front grille, then you should be able to access the headlamp unit to remove it.

PM inbound.

It sounds like you're talking about the "headlamp". I had the headlamp out in about 5 minutes. The thing I'm talking about is the 'headlight holder' which is a bit of a misnomer because it holds and does so much more. It's the plastic unit which runs all the way across the grill, holds the headlamps and also holds the wiring harnesses, has the rubber cowling riveted on each side which provides some sort of cosmetic(?) covering for the radiator/transmission cooler. It's a long piece (about 5') and is covered in holes for attaching the wiring harness and all kinds of stuff. I'll take some pics and show you what I'm talking about.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
It sounds like you're talking about the "headlamp". I had the headlamp out in about 5 minutes. The thing I'm talking about is the 'headlight holder' which is a bit of a misnomer because it holds and does so much more. It's the plastic unit which runs all the way across the grill, holds the headlamps and also holds the wiring harnesses, has the rubber cowling riveted on each side which provides some sort of cosmetic(?) covering for the radiator/transmission cooler. It's a long piece (about 5') and is covered in holes for attaching the wiring harness and all kinds of stuff. I'll take some pics and show you what I'm talking about.

AKA - Header panel.:p

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AKA - Header panel.:p

Excellent. Thank you. I never knew the technical term for it, just the colloquial term. Yeah, lots of stuff going on with the header panel.