Anyone do an aftermarket Sun Roof install?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rednroll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I originally bought my 2003 Libby, the only thing I didn't like about it was that it didn't have a factory installed sun roof in it. So I figured, I might get one installed later by a Zebart shop or something that does these kind of installs.

I'm really hesitant now though because I've been looking at my roof interior and exterior and wondering how it's going to look.

Up front above my rear view mirror I have that computer center thingy which has the electronic compass, and info center for gas mileage, along with the programmable buttons for garage door openers. So I'm looking at the head liner and it's molded around that computer center thingy and I see that as a potential problem if I was going to have a sun roof installed. Then when I look on the top of my roof, it has those raised glide ridges on the metal of the roof, which would have to be cut through and they look they would be a problem for a sun roof install in that the metal would not be flush with the sun roof.

So I'ld like to hear from anyone that has had this kind of install done, and would be interested to see pics of the final outcome and if you where happy with the install or not. Right now, I have a lot of big question marks, that kind of have me concerned that it might mess things up and it may not be worth it.

Rednroll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I've seen a few (Read: A LOT) of aftermarket sunroof installs inside Libbys.

To make a long story short, the sunroofs are inserted behind the EVIC, and some of the sunroof DOES have a conflict with the roof ribs but the sealant and weatherstripping seemed to do a decent job of hugging them and keeping water out.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Thanks, those have me interested but I wish they had some close up photos of a liberty install. I'm interested in seeing how the install fits with those roof raised skids and also inside with the head liner.

I would look go to the dealer section of Webasto for your area:
http://www.webastoshowroom.com/Locator/Michigan.html

Speak to somebody at a shop and ask for details.

This company supplies sunroofs to pretty much all the European Automotive manufactures.
I know that the Classic Rover Mini up to the year 2000 uses Wabasto. (I can't even count how many of those Folding Fabric power sunroofs i've installed in Classic Mini's!)
It wouldn't surprise me if Chrysler uses this very manufacture for their sunroofs.

Last edited:

Rednroll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen a few (Read: A LOT) of aftermarket sunroof installs inside Libbys.

To make a long story short, the sunroofs are inserted behind the EVIC, and some of the sunroof DOES have a conflict with the roof ribs but the sealant and weatherstripping seemed to do a decent job of hugging them and keeping water out.

Thanks......that's kind of what my concerns where. I figured they might have to push the install back pretty far to get beyond the EVIC head liner molding.....which would push it back kind of far for my preference, where it would seem like the rear seat passengers might get more sunroof than the front seat....thus almost eliminating my desire to get one. Then those roof ribs fitting with the seal of the sun roof might look kind of unprofessional. I'll probably hold off until I can see one up close and personal, so I can get a better feel of the potential outcome. It's definitely not an install where once it's done I can say, "That looks like hell.....put it back to the way it was." ;)

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
The aftermarket location for the sunroof is the exact same as the factory location. EVIC or no EVIC. The only difference is the roof ribs are shorter if the Libby is equipped with a sunroof from the factory.

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I, too, am considering an aftermarket sunroof for my '03 KJ. If anyone has an aftermarket sunroof and wants to supply pictures, I'd definitely appreciate seeing how it looks inside and outside the Jeep. Bonus points for closeups of the roof.

Thanks.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
You'd probably have to get a new EVIC, one with the switch.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Aftermarket sunroofs come with their own switches but it would be cool to use the stock switch for a more... "OEM" look. You wouldn't have to buy a new EVIC, just the mount / casing for it.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every aftermarket sunroof I have seen has leaked bad after awhile,turned many away when I worked at the dealership,mostly due to the company's have gone out of business and could not get parts.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
^ That is a reason why you get a sunroof from a name brand such as ASC or Inalfa or Webasto... those are OEM suppliers for sunroofs.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.