Anybody ever lowered a liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gramifications

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Otherwise, pull off a trim piece, like the one that goes on the dash near your radio and HVAC controls. On the back of it will probably be a small sticker with the date on it. That should be pretty close to the build date to give you a better idea.

jeepgirl0385

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a girl. I drive a Liberty. I take corners fast, not super fast, but a decent speed. There are times I can lose crazy tailgaters in a corner because they don't know how to drive a car. It stays completely stable in the corners without an issue! The only time it has ever felt tippy was when I misjudged an unfamiliar off ramp and went a bit faster than I should, but even then it didn't feel like it was going over!

I drive my moms 06 Benz ML350, and I feel less safe in that than my 03 Liberty! And that has tons of computer controlled stability management systems! And it's lower to the ground!

So you may want to tell her that it is not going to tip over under normal driving situations! You would have to be doing something really stupid. I see no need to lower it at all.

One time I had to swerve really fast to get around a truck, and then to avoid going off the road. It stayed on all 4 wheels! It's really quite able to handle corners.

AJK381

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea all the times ive driven it ive never had a problem, and i usually get hit for how i drive it lol. but she has had the tires on it for a while now and says they are alot better and they were better tires overall. went from 235 wide goodyear sra's to 255 general grabber UHPs. i tested the tires swerving back and forth before i swapped them and the old ones broke loose alot easier, then new ones barely do at all.

jeepgirl0385

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had 235/65/17s Goodyear Wrangler HPs, and those things sucked! I never noticed it have issues cornering, but if the road was wet and I accellerated into traffic...I was sliding. I now have toyo open country ATs (same size) and they rock! They handle everything great.

Hehehe...I hit my bf when he is driving like an idiot, must be a girl thing! But I won't let him drive my Jeep other than to move it around the driveway when I am being lazy. I know he will either take it off road or beat on it or something, even though he says he won't. He drives a geo metro like a racecar but not stupidly and dangerously.

AJK381

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea she spun out once with the old tires too in the rain, but these have v groves to get the rain out and ive driven them pretty hard, just to test them out and i couldent even get them to slide. tires really make a diffrence in handeling and most people dont get that.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife drives a lifted KJ on 245/75 MTR's (31" tall) and feels fine even with a 2 month old baby in the back
I drive a lifted and locked '02 TJ that has a sticker that reads something like
"The top and doors of this SUV are not designed to protect you in a crash but only to keep your butt dry and a little warm or cool depending on season"
Note I replace some of the words with my own

Keep her out of a TJ or any wrangler for that matter
What does she say when she see's some one like me rolling down the highway at 70+ with no top and no doors:eek:

AJK381

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea, she has gotten better, the tires really gave her more confidence. idk how many times that she would have to try pretty hard to roll it, during normal driving anyway. i havent heard anything about it lately so i think she has gotten usto it. she has only had it for about a year now.

JIMMY JEEP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeepgirl those toyo open country AT's your running what are they like noise wise on the road? and also do they have a strong sidewall so there stable when cornering at speed? thanks ,i'm torn beetween bf goodies and the toyos for my next set of tyres

jeepgirl0385

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are surprisnging quiet. I find them quieter than the Goodyear Wrangler HPs that came on my Jeep! You don't really hear them when you have the windows up. You can hear them with the windows down, but it's not loud enough to bother me! They seems to be really good tires. I got them in January, so they have seen snow, rain, and a little dirt. They do awesome on dry, wet, and snow. They do fine at high speeds, I had the Jeep up to 90 on the highway, and they were fine. Not loud or anything. I was very pleased. I would recommend them.

They seem to take the corners just fine. It has always felt stable for me. I feel like I can take corners faster in my Jeep than the Benz I mentioned before.

My salesguy recommended the Toyos when I said I was looking for an all terrain. (He is an awesome salesguy who helps me out a lot when I have questions).

I wish I coulda got the BFGoodrich All Terrains, they definately look better than the Toyos, but I don't know how they ride. They don't make them in my size :(

AJK381

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i hope thats not the picture of the actual product cuz if so then they have their info wrong unless the factory leaf springs are hidden above the coils, lol. thanks for the info though i appreciate it.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
9 years later .......................................................:happy175:

Casey.N

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My gf has a 02 sport and she is always worried about it rolling, though ive told her she would have to try pretty hard to do it she always sees the sticker and freaks out (like a woman driver would). so i was going to get some 255/65r16s for it to give it a little better stance but does anybody know of a lowering kit for them? thanks in advance

i dont think you can roll these KJ's easy at all, for example i haul ass everywhere, frequently doing 60-70 in 30's taking extreme turns and my kj would rather break the tires loose than began to roll over, ive got 31's too. so if anything even trying to roll a stock height KJ is a very difficult thing to do IMHO. and if the body is rolling enough to make her think its ganna roll, she'd have to be taking some really fast full lock turns or the suspension on your KJ *****, giving the illusion of a rolling jeep, id look into to replacing the shocks than lowering the jeep, that might help some but what do i know lol.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
i dont think you can roll these KJ's easy at all, for example i haul ass everywhere, frequently doing 60-70 in 30's taking extreme turns and my kj would rather break the tires loose than began to roll over, ive got 31's too. so if anything even trying to roll a stock height KJ is a very difficult thing to do IMHO. and if the body is rolling enough to make her think its ganna roll, she'd have to be taking some really fast full lock turns or the suspension on your KJ *****, giving the illusion of a rolling jeep, id look into to replacing the shocks than lowering the jeep, that might help some but what do i know lol.

You do realize that what you quoted the member was last on here in 2008 , right ? :emotions34::gr_grin::icon_razz::happy175:
Bragging of going 60-70 in a 30 MPH area, not cool at all

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You do realize that what you quoted the member was last on here in 2008 , right ? :emotions34::gr_grin::icon_razz::happy175:
Bragging of going 60-70 in a 30 MPH area, not cool at all

Casey.N gonna die driving like that.

And on public roads shared with other motorists no less. Not impressed.