Any experiences with leaking steering rack?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sstcobra1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very cold here today in Chicago. Was minus 27F this morning when I drove 70 miles to Joliet. At lunch, I went out to the Liberty and the steering was very stiff. Examined the pump and it was low on fluid. Filled with a quart and then figured out that the steering rack was leaking very bad out the left side. Anyone have experience with this or in changing out the rack? How difficult of a job is this? Liberty is a 2004 sport 3.7 4X4. 88,500 miles.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not hard to change the rack,do a search on here and I've told how to change one real easy and without having to pull the front diff.A shop will charge about 12 hours of labor for a rack replacement for a KJ,I've done one in MOAB in 4 hours in a campground lot.

jsc7002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya I had to replace mine :( I took it somewhere and I think I paid somewhere around $500 for the rack and install and a couple other small things

Latest posts

Members online