Another "sqeaking/creaking" thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey ya'll. Got a problem that has me scratching my head. I'm getting what I would call a "creak" from my driver side front suspension. It occurs upon loading or unloading of the suspension, such as when stopping or when I get in/out of the Jeep. I thought I had it narrowed down to the upper control arm bushing toward the rear (Al's Gen 4.5). Bolts are all tight though and a healthy dose of lube on the bushing didn't make it go away.

Got underneath it again and really played with it and now it sounds like the actual spring is creaking, or possibly the upper ball joint. Was out of grease so I didn't pump it full or grease yet to see if that helps. I did lube LCA bushings and sway bar bushings with no effect.

I know I have alot of issues with my front suspension banging and clunking but this creak is really annoying. Any ideas?

Last edited:

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
Dry balljoints can make some weird groaning noises. Usually, when you start hearing that noise, then buying parts isn't not to far away.

Still could be a UCA bushing. Luckily the upper ball joint is an easy change....if that is what indeed needs to be replaced.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the ball joint is dry and youre not going to grease it to see if that helps? That doesnt add up..

Check the sway bar bushings.

TAHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I keep readin how everyone is dealing with squeaking... are all these new parts Polyeurathane bushings??? If so, right there is your problem. I dealt with this a few years back rebuilding the front suspension of my 79 camaro. I got a big bottle of "gorilla snot" from either summit racing or the place I bought my bushings from to coat every and any piece of bushing, inside or out. If not, major squeaks. I think you all are getting your noises from the upper arms, isolators, etc any poly bushing or part.

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the ball joint is dry and youre not going to grease it to see if that helps? That doesnt add up..

Check the sway bar bushings.

I am going to grease it. I was just out of grease last night and I'm at work today. Perhaps later...

Sway bar bushings have been siliconed. Still creaking.

What type of lift do you have? If it is a JBA, let me know...

It's a Frankenlift I. Al's Gen 4.5 upper arms. Original lower arms.

Last edited: