Another lift question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cbpf9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so here we go! Yes I have been reading and reading..
This is just all so confusing. And want to get it rite this time.

rite now im running the rough country 3in lift and have the rocklizard convertible bumper and with my original coils and struts they are beat to hell the front end bounces around like crazy and front has lost a bunch of lift already cant stand it anymore. As with most others on a tight budget.
I have been looking at the jba ironman springs and struts with qtr inch top plate and clevis lift for the front was gonna do the kit with arms but definitely cant swing that the moment so will add the arms at a later time. As far as the rear it is ok for now with the rough country springs can always add an iso later on if need be.. just want to make sure this is done rite this time and im ordering the rite parts... Please help.

on a side note was thinking if I wanted to keep it cheap I could maybe go crd coils to compensate for weight of bumper and a rancho strut with my*rough*country*spacer? Probably a bad idea idk?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok so here we go! Yes I have been reading and reading..
This is just all so confusing. And want to get it rite this time.

rite now im running the rough country 3in lift and have the rocklizard convertible bumper and with my original coils and struts they are beat to hell the front end bounces around like crazy and front has lost a bunch of lift already cant stand it anymore. As with most others on a tight budget.
I have been looking at the jba ironman springs and struts with qtr inch top plate and clevis lift for the front was gonna do the kit with arms but definitely cant swing that the moment so will add the arms at a later time. As far as the rear it is ok for now with the rough country springs can always add an iso later on if need be.. just want to make sure this is done rite this time and im ordering the rite parts... Please help.

on a side note was thinking if I wanted to keep it cheap I could maybe go crd coils to compensate for weight of bumper and a rancho strut with my*rough*country*spacer? Probably a bad idea idk?

First remove the Rough Country crap and throw it as far as you can so you will not be tempted to reuse it.
NOW you're going to want good springs and shocks, yes shocks in front. Forget the Rancho ones since they stopped making the RSX line which worked perfect. If going Ironman use Ironman shocks. They are tuned to the springs plus are a little longer than stock/ Rancho/ Bilstein / OME etc
IF you are wanting to go with top plate and clevis then you more than likely will be into the height that you need to the JBA UCAs to make it easier to align plus they are just so much better. Another thing to think about with the Rough country lift on there I'd say your stock UCAs are pretty much worn out anyways.
Now if going to CRD springs or not, if going to a winch with aftermarket bumper then yes , if not I would say no. I ran OME springs and an ARB for 100,000 miles with no regrets.
Doing just the front and not the rear? I would not advise it, but you could get away with it for a short time. Here is why, in front everything will be new, better riding and handling while in the rear it will be like grandmas boobs flopping everywhere. Short time OK, long term I'd say no

cbpf9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey tom... was waiting for your response u were the one who helped me with info on my rocklizard bumper which is freakin awesome. .. seems you are the man when it comes to the liberty...

Well my initial plan was your econo lift in the front but then as usual life got in the way tough to spend lots when u have kids and bills.... problem being my front is shot and needs to be replaced asap rides like trampoline. Was kinda lookin for a more cost effective option not cheap crap was starting to think the rancho rs series with ome springs would have saved about 100 plus. But looks like I may just have go iron man? I just picked up some conduit nuts so that will save me like 10 on the spacers I guess how many should I use to replace the jba spacer?....as far as the rear its good for now may just slap another iso under the rear spring for now.

Thanks again for the help wish I lived closer I would love to check out your rig...

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Come on over you're only 7.5 hours away!!
Ranchos would save you some but "if" you can I would go Bilstein or Ironman if you are using Ironman springs.
If you are doing a top plate I would stick with 2 or 3 conduit nuts any more and you're getting into the artea that you would need UCAs . You can always add more later if you are going to get arms.
rear just run what you have just knowing it will be a bit soft back there.
The RL does look good doesn't it ??

cbpf9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if I will go ironman springs maybe ome considering they are around same price . Well I have to make decision quick so thanks for the help once again.

And yeah it does I was pretty close to goin with tbat 4x guard thing...

cbpf9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also is this something I can do in the drive way with some basic tools? I have done two lifts on libertys spacers though? Kinda worried about taking the springs apart i do have them spring compressors but only gunna have a day to get this done

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
FWIW .. find a shop to change out your springs for ya. It is worth the price! Other than that it is completely do-able.

cbpf9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its that hard getting them apart? was gonna try and salvage the top and isolaters from the stock ones to save money but at that point might as well get new stuff to save on labor...

cbpf9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to beat a dead horse. But can this be done with the standard non hydraulic spring compressors the ones with the long bolt that you would use a wrench or socket to compress?

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For your own safety I wouldn't suggest it. It probably can be done but I have seen people put in the hospital for weeks due to truck springs.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
It can be done, BUT I would take them to a shop have them compress them and be done, so much easier, PLUS the ironman if you go with them the coils are so close together that once you compress them, you can't get the fingers of the compressor back out

cbpf9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last question tom I promise! considering this needs to be done right away as my Jeep is very horrible the drive kinda unsafe. Do you think the Old Man Emu Springs would be easier to work with as far as getting the clamps off. And what do you think about using Rancho rs strutswith the Old Man Emu heavy duty springs and a quarter inch top lane with ClEvis spacer?

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would be easiest if you removed yours and took them to a shop along with your new springs and have the shop swap them out. Springs aren't something you want to take a risk with if you don't have experience with them . They'll take your head off. If you need a less expensive shock go with the Bilstiens.
:winner_first_h4h::waytogo:

cbpf9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bilstiens are about the same as the iron man was gonna originally go with...

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Last question tom I promise! considering this needs to be done right away as my Jeep is very horrible the drive kinda unsafe. Do you think the Old Man Emu Springs would be easier to work with as far as getting the clamps off. And what do you think about using Rancho rs strutswith the Old Man Emu heavy duty springs and a quarter inch top lane with ClEvis spacer?
Doesn't matter whose springs you use, they are a bear with those small hand compressors, stock springs are only 310 lb so not bad to get off, but compressing 400 lb springs is no fun.
Personally I think the Rancho RS line is a very cheap shock, I wouldn't advise installing them.
Then adding a top plate and a clevis you will have spring / UCA contact if not installing new JBA UCAs , plus harder to align

cbpf9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pulled the trigger! Just got off thr phone with marlin over at jba Went with the ironman struts/shocks and ome hd coils and the jba top 1/4 top plate and may add a couple conduit washers. I hope its not a problem with the arms rite now wish I could have afforded them now but this whole thing was already way out of budget! Will add them sometime in the future but for hope the springs and struts work? Thanks everyone for the help whish me luck.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pulled the trigger! Just got off thr phone with marlin over at jba Went with the ironman struts/shocks and ome hd coils and the jba top 1/4 top plate and may add a couple conduit washers. I hope its not a problem with the arms rite now wish I could have afforded them now but this whole thing was already way out of budget! Will add them sometime in the future but for hope the springs and struts work? Thanks everyone for the help whish me luck.

I was able to add a top plate but not any clevis without unnecessary contact. Maybe you will get lucky.

cbpf9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
O so ome hd springs ironman struts 1/4" top plate and 2 conduit nuts in! Sitting 22 1/4 both sides and rear 21 1/2 both sides guess im gunna hold off on the on the rear iso for now and see where the front settles. Super happy with the way it looks and rides pretty nice so far have a 30 mile drive tonight so will better later. Funny how was able to to bounce the front end one handed like a basket ball and now can barley move it with two also no more bounce when my fat a** hops in.....

But of course I have multiple other problems discovered my inside passanger tie rod end is bad a seized passanger cam bolt that I knew about couldn't get out froze in the bushing and my passanger side upper ball joint is bad wth..... want to replace arms with jbas but no way thats in the budget rite now parts and daughters birthday has kicked the crap out of my wallet. Gotta figure something out may just have to go a stock arm for now and hold off for jba arms.

thanks for all the help guys!

cbpf9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh and by the way I did have a shop do the springs. I didnt feel like dying today. He did say how even with his machine it was tough to compress them ome springs....