Another Lift question... let the flaming begin.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lunch-box

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gents,

I have been trying to take in the plethora of information on this forum with regards to lift kits. But alas is to much to take in.

I need a slight lift for light off roading however going through a seperation is proving to consume my cash flow. I have already dismissed the daystar lift, and I am strongly considering the Rocky Road budget lift. Please keep in mind this is just to get me up off the road for now and is not perminant. Maybe in a couple years when the old bank account is a little more cushy I will upgrade.

Let the flaming begin:disgust:.... What do you guys think?

Minimike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wait :) I know it ***** but I have experienced trying to do a budget lift. IT SUCKED lol. I would just wait until you can afford a proper lift.

If you are still going to try to find a budget lift.

If you are only looking for a 1" lift, you could go with some extra rear isolators and a 3/8" top plate shim for the front.

Cheap leads to disappointment and eventual reversion back to stock or better equipment. Overall it will cost you more to not do it right the first time.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
wait :) I know it ***** but I have experienced trying to do a budget lift. IT SUCKED lol. I would just wait until you can afford a proper lift.

If you are still going to try to find a budget lift.

If you are only looking for a 1" lift, you could go with some extra rear isolators and a 3/8" top plate shim for the front.

Cheap leads to disappointment and eventual reversion back to stock or better equipment. Overall it will cost you more to not do it right the first time.

x2

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Well where to begin that hasn't already been said
First RRO is junk but other than that any spacer you are using with worn out springs and shocks will kill everything even faster due to the extra stress on the parts involved.
Now some say well I will replace the shocks, well good but you still have worn out sagged springs which are weak and will make the new shocks work more.
So still at square one
Many have tried them saying "I'll show you all" and a few months later are back with " What springs do I use now?"
Personally its not worth installing any type of spacer on a used vehicle. I can see with new Jeep/new springs for a short time but the ride will go away fast even then
For the cost of a spacer lift you've already bought two springs, now just save up some more and do it right

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Welcome to the club ... it's been almost 3 un-lifted years for my poor gal. :(

One thing I am thankful for is the people on this site that have made me realize that wasting money on a budget lift is not the way to go.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
where are you sitting at now
( middle of wheel to bottom of flare)
Always do a clevis and top plate ( which you can use later when you get shocks and springs).
The clevis and top plate will get you about 1.25 inches , not much but more than you have now.
I've torn mine down to add 1/4 of an inch before so:happy175:
course that was just to be higher than 03CDKJ :Bye:

RexTheShocker

Reaction score
Here is a link to the front shims and isolators and the link on how to install. Just keep in mind your just putting more stress on those stock springs expect them to sag out faster. I have only had my Jeep about 4 months and put about 5k miles on it usually with a extra 200-300 pounds in it and its already down about 1/2 and inch all the way around.

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43643

recoil44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But I cant go where i want to go with the stock height....

Your definition of "light off roading" must be different from mine.

What kind of obstacle(s) are we talking about here? Have you actually attempted these and failed or is it more of a, I don't think it will make it, situation?

Lancer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can't go where you want to go with the stock vehicle (and careful driving/spotting) then you won't get there with a cheap lift either. My KJ with stock suspension gets me down most green lanes and rough roads all over the place. There have been times when a lift would have made it easier, but the Skid Row plates helped!

I've been unemployed for over 2 years now, so I understand about the tight finances, but it really is worth while to save and wait to get the decent kit - that way you only have to spend once. My grandfather always told me "son, we are too poor to buy cheap".

markc

Reaction score
I might be the only one that likes them, but I have the RRO lift, 2.5" front and 3" rear. So far I am pleased with them, after a year.
before lift
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images

after lift
You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images attach

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
RRO is not bad just their customer service ***** and they don't tell you everything
They do use front OME springs and shocks, rear is their their own junk ( springs and shocks) They used to use OME all the way around but found they could make more money by not who cares about the customer:shrug: