Another Lift Kit Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

streetsnake

Reaction score
Oh the rear ones
yes I did , but only sold ten , well nine and kept one that is on the 03 now
No, found out soon that 50 plus people wanted them, but when time came to pay , everyone disappeared LOL
Lol. Of course they did. They looked awesome

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I thought you may have been asking about the TOMMUDD lift from JBA back in the day
Sold a bunch of them , no I did not make anything off of them Marlin just used what we were doing and combined everything in a lift kit
I did testing of new products, changes etc for him
Tried to lure me into moving over and working for him but no didn't want to live in that area LOL

streetsnake

Reaction score
Hi guys. Would you take a look at the below? On the springs, one set refers to medium duty, the other heavy-duty. However, they both mention 1.5" lift. Which set would I need?
As for the shocks, I'm at a loss. I like the sound of the Bilstein adjustable but they are only for the fronts, correct? Is there a similar product for the rear or which other two sets should I get? I appreciate any direction you can provide.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
You want 927 front springs and 731 rear springs
DO NOT get the bilstein adjustables , just get the regular Bilsteins for the front
24-186660 for the rear
Due to being manufactured in Australia they can not advertise as giving more lift than 1.5 inches

I just posted this the other day in another post in the lift section
Anyone thinking or wanting to use the Bilstein 5100 adjustable front shocks , think again
If you do want to use them, not sure why but,.....
You should not install them any more than sitting at the 0 mark, that is it
Any higher and it will create a disaster , degrading the springs within a few months
It preloads the springs which is very bad much like cheap spacer lifts do
These shocks should of never been built in the first place
4600s are cheaper , are the same internally , and are built for the KJs/KKs to keep the same spring perch at stock distances
Jeepinjarhead and I have discussed this and just today I seen a discussion suggesting someone use them
Please do not , unless you want to spend the extra money , set them at 0 just to say you have them
Questions ?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
POST NUMBER 2 in this discussion, knew I had already posted the correct information already

As for adjustable shocks
The JBA coilover lift had adjustable shocks as far as compression and rebound, plus most time they had regular rear shocks but Marlin ( JBA owner found a set of adjustable rear as well) but due to them having issues I only ran them for about a year on the 03 , but it was nice to be able to tune all four shocks as far as the rebound and compression went

Last edited:

streetsnake

Reaction score
You want 927 front springs and 731 rear springs
DO NOT get the bilstein adjustables , just get the regular Bilsteins for the front
24-186660 for the rear
Due to being manufactured in Australia they can not advertise as giving more lift than 1.5 inches

I just posted this the other day in another post in the lift section
Anyone thinking or wanting to use the Bilstein 5100 adjustable front shocks , think again
If you do want to use them, not sure why but,.....
You should not install them any more than sitting at the 0 mark, that is it
Any higher and it will create a disaster , degrading the springs within a few months
It preloads the springs which is very bad much like cheap spacer lifts do
These shocks should of never been built in the first place
4600s are cheaper , are the same internally , and are built for the KJs/KKs to keep the same spring perch at stock distances
Jeepinjarhead and I have discussed this and just today I seen a discussion suggesting someone use them
Please do not , unless you want to spend the extra money , set them at 0 just to say you have them
Questions ?
For a KK, wouldn’t it be 790s and 731s? Unless I’m missing something which is probable. These two are shown to be utilized on the KK as “heavy” load. Sorry if I’m misunderstanding.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
For a KK, wouldn’t it be 790s and 731s? Unless I’m missing something which is probable. These two are shown to be utilized on the KK as “heavy” load. Sorry if I’m misunderstanding.
The 790s are rated at 500 lb
they are for the CRDs and anyone with aftermarket bumpers and winches
the 927s are what you want with 400lb spring rate, stock is 310
I have done well over 60 Liberty lifts and this is what works and works great

streetsnake

Reaction score
The 790s are rated at 500 lb
they are for the CRDs and anyone with aftermarket bumpers and winches
the 927s are what you want with 400lb spring rate, stock is 310
I have done well over 60 Liberty lifts and this is what works and works great
Ok. Gotcha. I was confused by what they listed in the KK section vs the KJ section. If the springs are interchangeable amongst years I understand now. Thx. Now I’ll see if I can understand your shock recommendations. :)

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Hi @LabRat and @tommudd I hate to ask but I've been trying to go through LabRats list on his build and looking through Off Road Warehouse's website and I cannot find the appropriate suspension parts. Some of the links went to the cart and thus cannot be seen. If you happen to get the time and are bored, could you take a look at the website and help me create a list to order the necessary suspension parts. Also, some of the other parts he has listed are for the KJ and I can't seem to find the KK counterpart. Is it probable that a specific item doesn't have a KK part or is potentially interchangeable?
I suggest searching by the OME part numbers direct. ORW may not list them available any more.

When I was ordering for my first lift I learned to contact customer service before placing the order. Many places these days claim to have what you want, get your money, and then wait two weeks to tell you they are issuing a refund.

However these links may help you out :

However those may not be the parts you want for your build. Part of the fun of learning something new is the hunt. ;)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
streetsnake , to explain above, the OME 132L are the rear shocks and are hard to get anymore
just have to remember that PLUS the fact if you ever happen to need one you maybe shockless for 2 weeks or a month
the 24-185660 are the Bilstein's that work with 2.5 inches of lift

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Even further
front springs and shocks are the same for the KJ and KK
rear springs are different but rear shocks are the same

streetsnake

Reaction score
I suggest searching by the OME part numbers direct. ORW may not list them available any more.

When I was ordering for my first lift I learned to contact customer service before placing the order. Many places these days claim to have what you want, get your money, and then wait two weeks to tell you they are issuing a refund.

However these links may help you out :

However those may not be the parts you want for your build. Part of the fun of learning something new is the hunt. ;)
Ok. ill See if I can finally figure this out tomorrow. Ugh

donald pierce

Reaction score
I’ll apologize in advance that I’m new to the KK and posted about wheel adapters in the tires section. I thought it might be better to start with a lift. I’ve tried to look through various post but I’m a bit confused…shocking. Ugh. I’d like to get the best lift ”kit” or components, thus not having to swap things out in the future. However, I just want a 2.5“ or so lift. Ive seen Tom recommend the JBAs but when I look at their site, I just see the UCAs. Do they not do them anymore? I’d just like to get a list of what I need to order and from where. It seemed the setup Tom has on his ‘03 (I think) is as good as you’ll be able to get. I also sent one of the kk supporters (I forget who but they were recommended and based in CA) an email too. Anyway, sorry for the long post. I’m just trying to do this projest with my son on his first Jeep. We have a few months before he’ll be driving full time so I thought it would be a good bonding experience. Lol
I just did a BDS 2" on my 05 and with tires I gained 5". And updated to 30"x9". I did replace the whole suspensions as well though. All in 3200$. But the BDS lift was about 600$ got it from Jack it in Utah. Great bunch of people and very helpfull.

streetsnake

Reaction score
Hi guys. I think I have it. Please take a look below to confirm and provide any thoughts/guideance. PLEASE :)

So...I need these:

The shocks directly below say they are not for a 2010 application but they are, correct?

or I can get these instead of the directly above, correct?

a set of these

A total of 12 Hockey pucks. Is there an aftermarket bump stop that I can get instead of hockey pucks? Anyone have a pick of what this looks like and how they bold together?

And a set of these:

What else while I'm at it replacing the suspension of my KK?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
BDS , good springs
BUT the problem is you get 4 springs but paying more than what OME costs !
Then you have to buy shocks , they come with rear but they are junk
So you're paying more for less
Ive installed a full BDS system but used Bilstein shocks all around

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hockey pucks are just what they are
go to sporting gods store they sell them single
You drill through two hockey pucks per side , then also through the lower spring perch in the center
After installing spring, then slide them into the spring and bolt them down
I use a 3 / 8 inch bolt 2.25 inches long
They work as good or better than any other boughten bump stop
Been using them for years on variuos 4x4s

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I just did a BDS 2" on my 05 and with tires I gained 5". And updated to 30"x9". I did replace the whole suspensions as well though. All in 3200$. But the BDS lift was about 600$ got it from Jack it in Utah. Great bunch of people and very helpfull.
You must have been sagged at least 3 inches if you got 5 inches over what it was
BDS only gives 2

streetsnake

Reaction score
Hockey pucks are just what they are
go to sporting gods store they sell them single
You drill through two hockey pucks per side , then also through the lower spring perch in the center
After installing spring, then slide them into the spring and bolt them down
I use a 3 / 8 inch bolt 2.25 inches long
They work as good or better than any other boughten bump stop
Been using them for years on variuos 4x4s
Gotcha. Is the rest of my list good?

andrei vit

Reaction score
And with the permission of all I will ask my question to professionals.
I have an OME shock up front and a custom 2" spring, I can add a 1" leveling shim to get a 4" front end.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
And with the permission of all I will ask my question to professionals.
I have an OME shock up front and a custom 2" spring, I can add a 1" leveling shim to get a 4" front end.
leveling shim ?
Custom spring from whom
BUT best answer is NO
Without a lot of extra parts
You'll need JBA UCAs for one
then for the rear will need longer sway bar links
a custom drag link
and then of course you will want larger tires so then comes a regear

Latest posts

Members online