Another Lift Kit Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

streetsnake

Reaction score
I’ll apologize in advance that I’m new to the KK and posted about wheel adapters in the tires section. I thought it might be better to start with a lift. I’ve tried to look through various post but I’m a bit confused…shocking. Ugh. I’d like to get the best lift ”kit” or components, thus not having to swap things out in the future. However, I just want a 2.5“ or so lift. Ive seen Tom recommend the JBAs but when I look at their site, I just see the UCAs. Do they not do them anymore? I’d just like to get a list of what I need to order and from where. It seemed the setup Tom has on his ‘03 (I think) is as good as you’ll be able to get. I also sent one of the kk supporters (I forget who but they were recommended and based in CA) an email too. Anyway, sorry for the long post. I’m just trying to do this projest with my son on his first Jeep. We have a few months before he’ll be driving full time so I thought it would be a good bonding experience. Lol

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
First how much lift do you want ?
Easy to get 2.5 inches out of OME springs and then either OME or Bilstein shocks plus bumpstops etc
At 2.5 inches you can run a larger tire , you will lose some gas mileage and power but not too bad
For the front OME 927 springs with either OME or Bilstein front shocks, same as stock plus Teraflex bumpstops ( must call Teraflex to order them as they are not on their site )
For the rear you will need OME 731 springs, and either OME 132L or Bilstein 24-185660 rear shocks plus two hockey pucks per side bolted down to the lower spring perch for bumpstops
You can get by with the stock front UCAs although the JBAs are a great upgrade with easily rebuildable ball joints
KKs are a little harder to lift as high as you can a KJ since the rear track bar tends to pull the KK over to one side . When we had larger lifts we also had longer adjustable track bars etc
The place in California was ALLJs I am sure but just know when you install their lift you will get closer to 4 inches and takes a long time to get broke in ,
More, just ask

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
What I run on the 03 and 04 is the JBA adjustable coilover lifts, but they were discontinued a few years back
plus some thought they cost too much LOL
The OME lifts are great though
I have ran them on two Cherokees and the first lift on the 04 was a 2.5 inch OME that I removed at 120,000 miles, with 100,000 miles on the lift, to test other lifts and then sold the lift to a friend . They are that good
I have installed over 60 OME lifts on KJs and KKs so far and no one has ever complained

streetsnake

Reaction score
First how much lift do you want ?
Easy to get 2.5 inches out of OME springs and then either OME or Bilstein shocks plus bumpstops etc
At 2.5 inches you can run a larger tire , you will lose some gas mileage and power but not too bad
For the front OME 927 springs with either OME or Bilstein front shocks, same as stock plus Teraflex bumpstops ( must call Teraflex to order them as they are not on their site )
For the rear you will need OME 731 springs, and either OME 132L or Bilstein 24-185660 rear shocks plus two hockey pucks per side bolted down to the lower spring perch for bumpstops
You can get by with the stock front UCAs although the JBAs are a great upgrade with easily rebuildable ball joints
KKs are a little harder to lift as high as you can a KJ since the rear track bar tends to pull the KK over to one side . When we had larger lifts we also had longer adjustable track bars etc
The place in California was ALLJs I am sure but just know when you install their lift you will get closer to 4 inches and takes a long time to get broke in ,
More, just ask
I’m just looking for 2.5” or so to put some larger tires on and hoping on better handling?? I believe you mentioned that but maybe that referred to the JBAs?? Any specific site that is recommended to order from? Also, is this something someone can do fairly easily without any special equipment? I haven’t done a lift before, just working on some old mustangs. Where are you based in Ohio. Lol

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Southeastern Ohio , hour southwest of Wheeling WV
ONLY hard part is compressing the front springs to install the shock and no the rental compressors will not work
I just take them to a shop with a good compressor and then will not take anyones head off
Several places sell OME , but seems there is a lag in shipping on everything that comes into this country
Bilstein shocks can be bought at shockwarehouse for one
ALLJs = www.boulderbars.com
OK4WD are two places I have dealt with

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
check with LabRat he got some or all of his OME parts etc out of Cali
and yes ride and handling are greatly approved
I truly hate the stock ride in KJs and KKs even when brand new LOL

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
What’s your thoughts on this company. Just came across it. https://www.rocky-road.com/jeep-liberty-lift-kit-kk.html
NO NO NO
people have been getting bad products and scammed money for years
KJ folks on these forums lost money back in 02-03
Lately they have been using their own brand of springs to pass off as OME
Then when customer complains , they never hear back
Also one customer had rear springs delivered that set the KJ one inch lower on one side they said it was customers fault
Back in 09 guy who came to my M&Gs all the time went with them for UCAs ( told him not to, but )
Went to install them and one side would not even fit back in, he called and they told him it was our fault and we didn't know what we were doing
He lost all is money and ended up getting a set from JBA and they went right in
So a big old NO for them

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
I basically followed all of Tom and company’s sage advice .at first I didn’t though and it cost me time and money and stress.

But here we are 8 months later and I’ve lifted 2 Libertys.

Best suggestion I can make in addition to your PM is to take a photo Of everything under the wheel before you tear it down. That way you can route break lines and stuff properly when you put it all back together.

Hardest part is the front assemblies. Use a DIY shop that has a proper compressor and some one that knows how to run it OR check with a mom and pop shop and see if they will assemble them for you.

streetsnake

Reaction score
I basically followed all of Tom and company’s sage advice .at first I didn’t though and it cost me time and money and stress.

But here we are 8 months later and I’ve lifted 2 Libertys.

Best suggestion I can make in addition to your PM is to take a photo Of everything under the wheel before you tear it down. That way you can route break lines and stuff properly when you put it all back together.

Hardest part is the front assemblies. Use a DIY shop that has a proper compressor and some one that knows how to run it OR check with a mom and pop shop and see if they will assemble them for you.
Thank you for that. I took a look at your thread. Very cool and nicely done. The more I look at it, the more I'm talking myself out of doing this myself. LOL I'm not sure it is in my wheelhouse. I'll watch some videos and see. Also, I wish there where some options for front/rear bumpers/tire carriers also.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for that. I took a look at your thread. Very cool and nicely done. The more I look at it, the more I'm talking myself out of doing this myself. LOL I'm not sure it is in my wheelhouse. I'll watch some videos and see. Also, I wish there where some options for front/rear bumpers/tire carriers also.
Used to be but not many of us were willing to pay the cost of a well made/ built product so they all quit making products that we all ( well a few of us ) wanted
A lift is not that hard really if you have jack/jackstands , tools etc
Just removing and replacing and know what to tighten and when to tighten

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Trust me, do it yourself. Only way to learn. Really is fairly simple.
And save yourself a few grand in the process.

streetsnake

Reaction score
Used to be but not many of us were willing to pay the cost of a well made/ built product so they all quit making products that we all ( well a few of us ) wanted
A lift is not that hard really if you have jack/jackstands , tools etc
Just removing and replacing and know what to tighten and when to tighten
Tom, are you going to ever have any more of yours made? Oh I guess those were just for KJs? Thanks, B

streetsnake

Reaction score
Hi @LabRat and @tommudd I hate to ask but I've been trying to go through LabRats list on his build and looking through Off Road Warehouse's website and I cannot find the appropriate suspension parts. Some of the links went to the cart and thus cannot be seen. If you happen to get the time and are bored, could you take a look at the website and help me create a list to order the necessary suspension parts. Also, some of the other parts he has listed are for the KJ and I can't seem to find the KK counterpart. Is it probable that a specific item doesn't have a KK part or is potentially interchangeable?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry. Didn't you design a front bumper or rear?
Oh the rear ones
yes I did , but only sold ten , well nine and kept one that is on the 03 now
No, found out soon that 50 plus people wanted them, but when time came to pay , everyone disappeared LOL

Latest posts

Members online