Another Airbag Recall

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HerronScott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We just got the airbag recall letter too. What's interesting is that I found what I think is an airbag module sliding around under the driver's seat when we bought the car a couple of months ago (P56010501AG).

Scott

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
We just got the airbag recall letter too. What's interesting is that I found what I think is an airbag module sliding around under the driver's seat when we bought the car a couple of months ago (P56010501AG).

Scott

That's scary. Airbag module should be on the driver side under the console near the dash I believe. Well maybe under the ebrake lever. I think that's where I saw mine last time I had the console off. Keep getting letters for the airbag and hitch recall and throwing them away. I have the factory to package and factory fuel tank pseudo-skid.

Last edited:

Charlesthe2nd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got the airbag recall here on the side of my fridge. It's R06/NHTSA 15V-046(N46), and I'm wondering if I'll be receiving another recall letter on top of this one? My air bag light has been on for over a year now, and I remember first hearing about the recall then wondering if/when I was going to get KO'd by my airbag while doing 80 on the 5. Still no KO, but would like to get this fixed.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got the airbag recall here on the side of my fridge. It's R06/NHTSA 15V-046(N46), and I'm wondering if I'll be receiving another recall letter on top of this one? My air bag light has been on for over a year now, and I remember first hearing about the recall then wondering if/when I was going to get KO'd by my airbag while doing 80 on the 5. Still no KO, but would like to get this fixed.

Not really sure the recall helps with the light on issue. Mine comes on whenever the outside temp is above about 40-45degC. It will stay off all winter. Been like that for 2-3 years now. I've gotten at least 2 of the new airbag recalls. I did have the insufficient jumper recall done back a few years and that didn't help the light issue. Of course it was off when they did that recall so never scanned it. I'm the only one that drives mine and I just don't give a damn anymore. :Insane:

HerronScott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's scary. Airbag module should be on the driver side under the console near the dash I believe. Well maybe under the ebrake lever. I think that's where I saw mine last time I had the console off. .

The manual does seem to indicate it's under the console. I can only assume that the prior owner or the dealer that I bought it from had it replaced at some point although not part of this recall and left the old part in the car for some strange reason. The airbag light seems to be functioning correctly (lights before starting and then goes out) and no CEL so I'm pretty sure it would have to have one installed. But when I first found it, I had the similar concerns as to whether there was one installed and maybe the light was disabled until I checked.

Think I can get a core charge for it somewhere? :)

Scott

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
The manual does seem to indicate it's under the console. I can only assume that the prior owner or the dealer that I bought it from had it replaced at some point although not part of this recall and left the old part in the car for some strange reason. The airbag light seems to be functioning correctly (lights before starting and then goes out) and no CEL so I'm pretty sure it would have to have one installed. But when I first found it, I had the similar concerns as to whether there was one installed and maybe the light was disabled until I checked.

Think I can get a core charge for it somewhere? :)

Maybe you have a new and improved one installed? I'm wondering if you have the old one flopping around on the floor. I still see all these used ones for sale on ebay and such and they're pretty cheap. They say they are from an 02 or 03 but I thought the latest recall fix was to replace the old version with a new version. Not sure if these people are selling the "bad ones"?

I'd doubt there is a core and would probably just dispose of your extra one unless you could show it isn't a "bad one". (dunno)

HerronScott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe you have a new and improved one installed? I'm wondering if you have the old one flopping around on the floor. I still see all these used ones for sale on ebay and such and they're pretty cheap. They say they are from an 02 or 03 but I thought the latest recall fix was to replace the old version with a new version. Not sure if these people are selling the "bad ones"?

I'd doubt there is a core and would probably just dispose of your extra one unless you could show it isn't a "bad one". (dunno)

Ours is still showing that it hasn't had the latest recall done yet so we shouldn't have the new and improved one. When I asked the local dealer about the recall, they said they were waiting for parts but that was a couple of months ago. Claimed they would call me when the parts came in. :(

Scott

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've gotten a couple cards for the airbag recall but, like you, the parts haven't shown. Dealer is supposed to call me but I haven't exactly bugged them about it. I'll post if I ever do get the thing done but I'm not really thinking it will ever happen.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
i got my r06 recall done a few months ago.

Yeah, I remember you posting that back in Feb. I know the parts are out there someplace, and know of at least one other person who had it done too. Guess I should just contact one of the local dealers and see. I have two decent ones around here that have been okay to deal with. I was waiting for a call since I'm allegedly on their list. :gr_grin:

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah. i hated this past recall.
The messed up the impact sensor in the front by damaging the connector so the red retainer clip would not work.
The had to remove the upper radiator hose just to get more space. I can't believe they didn't remove the shroud instead.

I had to deal with a leaky upper radiator hose for some time. Had to keep turning the clamp tighter.

definitely call your favorite stealership.

PuckDrop

Reaction score
I had the Recall R06 Occupant Restraint Control Module recall done last Friday. Today I noticed my rear power windows won't go up or down. After some searching I think the module is under the console which leads me to believe that someone forgot to hook up my rear switches when they were putting it back together.

Does that seem logical?

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had the Recall R06 Occupant Restraint Control Module recall done last Friday. Today I noticed my rear power windows won't go up or down. After some searching I think the module is under the console which leads me to believe that someone forgot to hook up my rear switches when they were putting it back together.

Does that seem logical?

I think that does sound somewhat logical but I think the front cluster of switches are just one big plug. Not positive since I've been messing with too many different vehicles lately. So if only the rear switches in the front cluster don't work that would be weird. If only the back switches don't work then maybe the "child proof" switch was activated? No matter what, it's not too hard to pull the console and have a peak.

PuckDrop

Reaction score
Thanks for the info ltd02.

Neither the switches beside the driver in the center console nor the ones on the back of the console that the rear passengers have access to work for the rear windows.

The buttons beside the driver in the center console for the front door windows both work.

I did check the "child proof" button and that wasn't it so I'll take the console off tonight and see if I can see anything not hooked up.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like they may be changing the whole controller this time.

This new recall is part of that 15+ million airbag recall from the company in Japan.

Faulty airbag inflators.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
This new recall is part of that 15+ million airbag recall from the company in Japan.

Faulty airbag inflators.

Don't know anything about that one and the KJ. I've been watching the FUBAR list on that one and haven't seen any of the 5 different vehicles I have on it. I'm waiting on the R06 Occupant Restraint Control Module recall for the KJ where they swap in a new module.

If you've got more info then post a link! :help:

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Neither the switches beside the driver in the center console nor the ones on the back of the console that the rear passengers have access to work for the rear windows.

The buttons beside the driver in the center console for the front door windows both work.

I did check the "child proof" button and that wasn't it so I'll take the console off tonight and see if I can see anything not hooked up.

Maybe there's a separate fuse/relay for the rear window motors? Just a guess.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't know anything about that one and the KJ. I've been watching the FUBAR list on that one and haven't seen any of the 5 different vehicles I have on it. I'm waiting on the R06 Occupant Restraint Control Module recall for the KJ where they swap in a new module.

If you've got more info then post a link! :help:

If you read the link in the very 1st post they are trying to link it to that recall since the same company makes the system in those in this recall.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you read the link in the very 1st post they are trying to link it to that recall since the same company makes the system in those in this recall.

Okay so same company but not the shrapnel issue. I see what you mean. My bad.

That story is complicated by even mentioning TRW and Takata together. Trying to lump two different issues from two different companies together just confuses simpletons like me. Isn't TRW a US company?

Last edited: