An $800 Day at the Dealer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

resipsa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took my KJ in to the dealer today to have them look at two issues: a creaking sound coming from the front left wheel, and a clicking sound in the steering column. The creak is coming from a bad wheel hub (~$450 w/labor), and the clicking sound is from a bad clock spring (~$350 w/labor). Do these cost estimates sound reasonable? Neither one is covered under my extended warranty. ](*,)

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doesn't sounds bad for the dealer. I private shop would probably be cheaper and do a better job. Most people stay away from the dealer for all but warranty work, because of their high labor rates and propensity to replace parts that are still functioning. My suggestion is to take it else where, I never let any dealer touch my vehicle unless it is warranty work.

Jaysus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tell me more about the clicking sound and the clock spring... I think that I may be experiencing something similar.

2003KJ

Reaction score
I'm more concerned with how it's not covered under your extended warranty...I thought that was the point of an EXTENDED warranty? (Aeh)

resipsa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's something I've been thinking about myself. I have to go home and review the terms of the warranty.