AM/FM Antenna Boost

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ScottZ0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

I just installed a new HU from the factory CD stereo in my 03 Libby. With the new HU the reception sux on AM only. Any suggestions to improve this?

Thanks,
Scott

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
Not sure if they are still available in stores, but there are radio signal boosters. Check Ebay or other place for one. It will be a separately mounted device with a power switch, that to boost the reception ON, and not OFF. When you use CD changers with FM modulators, you degrade the signal for each one you install. I had TWO in the Avenger I had, so I used an old booster I found, left the power ON, that cut OFF when a CD changer was active (Relay).

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this thread is REALLY, REALLY old, but it is completely relevant to my problem (and it proves I searched).

I just installed a Sony Xplod receiver and the radio reception is poor. I don't think I did anything wrong, but the factory harness connector pinout had a Yellow/Red wire that is labeled "(Radio Choke) Antenna Relay Output" in the factory service manual.

Does anyone know what this wire is for, if anything? It isn't a wire for a booster or anything, is it?

Thanks.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this thread is REALLY, REALLY old, but it is completely relevant to my problem (and it proves I searched).

I just installed a Sony Xplod receiver and the radio reception is poor. I don't think I did anything wrong, but the factory harness connector pinout had a Yellow/Red wire that is labeled "(Radio Choke) Antenna Relay Output" in the factory service manual.

Does anyone know what this wire is for, if anything? It isn't a wire for a booster or anything, is it?

Thanks.

There is a choke/throttle if you will for the front speaker amplifiers. Not sure how it works exactly but it will adjust the power output of those front amps dynamically. It has nothing to do with the radio reception. I'm chomping at the bit to finally rid myself of those and go full on 4 channel amp and new speaks.

Make sure the antenna connector isn't being pried in the back after you slide the hu back in and Make sire the adapter is securely connected. Like I said above I have an alpine unit and the reception is just fine. Maybe the sony just has a cheaper than normal radio?

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a choke/throttle if you will for the front speaker amplifiers. Not sure how it works exactly but it will adjust the power output of those front amps dynamically. It has nothing to do with the radio reception. I'm chomping at the bit to finally rid myself of those and go full on 4 channel amp and new speaks.

Make sure the antenna connector isn't being pried in the back after you slide the hu back in and Make sire the adapter is securely connected. Like I said above I have an alpine unit and the reception is just fine. Maybe the sony just has a cheaper than normal radio?
Thanks for the reply.

Well, good to know it doesn't mean anything for radio signal. I rided myself of those amps. Full Kicker Components and a Sound Ordnance sub. I love the set-up.

I stuck my hand in the back of the radio as I slid it into it's place to 1) make sure that all four connections stayed and 2) make sure nothing was pinched. So, I hope that saved it from being pried away from a good connection. I might check again though.

I don't know. I thought the quality was good from Sony. Never really had a problem in the past with them. Maybe it is. Everything else sounds great, though. I couldn't imagine the quality of the Sony receiver would decrease the reception that much. Like, I only got one station when I get lots normally.

One thing I think might help is putting the stock antenna back on. The AntenneX antenna did well with my stock radio. In fact, I increased reception for a couple of stations. Maybe it isn't working as well with the HU. I'll change that and see.

I gotta have my ESPN radio in the morning. It's like coffee.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

Well, good to know it doesn't mean anything for radio signal. I rided myself of those amps. Full Kicker Components and a Sound Ordnance sub. I love the set-up.

I stuck my hand in the back of the radio as I slid it into it's place to 1) make sure that all four connections stayed and 2) make sure nothing was pinched. So, I hope that saved it from being pried away from a good connection. I might check again though.

I don't know. I thought the quality was good from Sony. Never really had a problem in the past with them. Maybe it is. Everything else sounds great, though. I couldn't imagine the quality of the Sony receiver would decrease the reception that much. Like, I only got one station when I get lots normally.

One thing I think might help is putting the stock antenna back on. The AntenneX antenna did well with my stock radio. In fact, I increased reception for a couple of stations. Maybe it isn't working as well with the HU. I'll change that and see.

I gotta have my ESPN radio in the morning. It's like coffee.

I hear ya. Radios are nothing like they used to be. If you want a really good radio find one from the 80s or earlier. LOL!

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol

So, does anyone thing one of these will work?

Autotek AM/FM Radio Booster

Car Antenna Radio FM & AM Signal Amp Amplifier Booster

I don't know if the KJ has motorola style connectors. I do think the adaptor that came with my new receiver probably is one since it seems to be the more common aftermarket conector. Most of these aftermarket boosters use this style it seems.

I'm not sure what to do here.

Switching back to the stock antenna did help though. I get two AM stations and three FM stations now. I was only getting one FM station.lol Still isn't up to par though.

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was correct.

The adaptor that came with my Sony receiver is a motorola connector that plugs into the rceiver.

I'm assuming I can use one of those boosters on the end of the adptor and connect the wire to the antenna remote wire from the receiver. Can anyone confirm this?