Al's UCA's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mmmansur

Reaction score
I have read alot of threads in this forum dicussing lift. I have an 03 with Rough Country 2.5" lift. This lift doesn't seem to be popular on this site, but I have had it in my truck for over a year now (25K miles) with no real trouble. The upper ball joint went recently, so my shop replaced it with an OEM, but could not get the aliagnment back. How good are Al's UCA's? Would this help get my aliagnment back into spec or should I look for something else? Any advise would be appriciated.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Al's arms add some extra length to help get the alignment back in spec, but they also change the angle that the ball sits at so as not to create undue stress at max extension. Lots of people have them and swear by them, I just haven't gotten around to saving for them yet (stoopid IRS :mad: )

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
your rough country junk lift is causing the problems sorry but thats just the facts. I had my OME lift on for over 70,000 miles and stock arms and not one problem, only upgraded due to getting a great deal, stock arms are still tight and useable
Also you can get the alignment close enough that there will be no problems with tire wear or pulling, of course you need to find a good alignment person who wants to take the time to do it right

mmmansur

Reaction score
ya know, I was going to add a line to my original post saying " please don't use this as an opportunity to cut down my lift kit". I have read some posts concerning the Rough Country lift, and I'm sorry, but I'm just not seeing the issues others have with the rubbing and banging. I have some minor tire rub at extreme angles (most likly due to my wheel backspacing) but other than that, I have no complaints.

I did some shopping around for an alignment shop specializing in off-road suspensions. I paid a little more, but the truck rides straight and solid now, and they had no problem with the RC lift.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
But that is what the main problem was with the upper ball joints going out trust me. Have seen it happen before, my original uppers have over 100,000 miles on them with over 70,000 lifted and are still good.
Those types of lifts pit more stress on the upper ball joints, you may not want to hear it but it does.
Oh well people want help but they don't really we try, we win some lose some:cool:;):rolleyes::eek::D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

mmmansur

Reaction score
Not really lookin to stuff 2k into the suspension of a jeep that spends 95% of its time on the pavement (if I wanna go off -road I'll take my CJ). My original question was about upper control arms. I contacted Al's and they were helpful.
Incidentally, the shop that did my final alignment looked at my my old control arm and told me that the reason for the ball joint failure was most likely damge to the boot during the original install (torn boot=failed joint). They said they see no signs of unusual wear on the other arm and don't see how else the thing got torn in that manner (pickle fork?). Thanks for the info

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
after reading all 7 posts the problem is denial
first thing that is being denied is that you bought a cheep lift
second thing is that the lift you bought is damaging your ball joints
you also have never sat down and done the "lift math" for your KJ

OME is know to be the best springs and struts/shocks for the KJ but Rancho is almost as good and for less money
now we know that a OME/Rancho lift can be bought for ~$600
we know ,or at least I know, that OE struts/shocks only last about 35-40K miles
from your posts I know that your KJ has at least 25K but you said it is an '03 so I am guessing well over 60K
we know ,again I know, that spacer lifts destroy struts
you have learned that spacer lifts destroy ball joints ,like it or not
you need to check your struts/shocks if the are OE the they need replacing
OME coils only cost ~$130 a pair so do your self a favor and fix it right
because if not over time you will be spending money on something else

so you said you do not want to spend $2K on a lift well guess what you did
and will need to spend even more money to fix it
sure the cost of the lift was less but after all is said and done you will have spent way more on a spacer lift then if you had spent the $600 doing it right