Alignment Specifications for a Lifted KJ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Caster is going to make your vehicle pull one way or the other and will also affect return of the steering wheel if it's set to far forward. More negative caster is better than more positive caster, and if they have road crown where you live try to have it slightly more negative to the left than the right. Forgive me if I mixed up the + and - parts of caster but either way you want it leaning back towards the vehicle and not forward.

Have camber adjusted to as close to factory spec as possible. If that shop has a Hunter align set up it should automatically pull up by the VIN where camber needs to be. If it's .1 or .2 off you should be OK as long as you stay on top of your tire maintenance.

Make sure toe is set as close to factory spec as possible, which they shouldn't have an issue with anyway. You're going to want to watch total toe so the steering wheel stays decently level for you.

Every time I tell a shop to just adjust camber they come back telling me the bolts are maxed out. I'm kinda trying to think of a way to "reset" everything and have them try re-adjusting the camber.

I don't know. I'm clueless at this point. Ready to trash the KJ for something newer.

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every time I tell a shop to just adjust camber they come back telling me the bolts are maxed out. I'm kinda trying to think of a way to "reset" everything and have them try re-adjusting the camber.

I don't know. I'm clueless at this point. Ready to trash the KJ for something newer.

Not quite so sure how the cam bolts would be maxed... It's kind of difficult to diagnose without it physically here, ya know? I would get opinions from a few different shops, see who does free alignment checks and see if there is anything they can do with it. Unless something was put in wrong or something is bent there really honestly shouldn't be an issue.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I know the dealerships are most familiar with the KJ's.
Possibly one of your local dealers may have an experienced alignment guy, that has done lifted KJ's before.
I know experienced frame shops may also have good knowledge in the alignment departments, just a thought...

Today I got mine aligned by an old school guy here and wow..it is dead on, drives like a dream again.
I thought my passenger side was out..nope toe out on drivers side.:gr_grin:

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know the dealerships are most familiar with the KJ's.
Possibly one of your local dealers may have an experienced alignment guy, that has done lifted KJ's before.
I know experienced frame shops may also have good knowledge in the alignment departments, just a thought...

Today I got mine aligned by an old school guy here and wow..it is dead on, drives like a dream again.
I thought my passenger side was out..nope toe out on drivers side.:gr_grin:

Dealership refuses to touch my "modded" Liberty :happy175: No big loss there. :shrug:

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Added alignment to my shop in 1998. Still not an expert. There are several here though, they'll tell ya so themselves. :icon_lol:

Bob

Don't know if that should be called "trolling", or "kicking a hornets nest".:worship:

Bob

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This said tool they will send you.......................

Northstar Manufacturing ::

I don't see anything about KJ's on the application list.

I have two, bought one when I thought the other was lost. One came from "Specialty Products Corp". The other was packaged and sold by SnapOn. Both identical. Damn glad most of those old trucks have either had em done already, or gone to recycle. Sho-nuff not gonna work on a Liberty.

Bob